1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its a superb loco to feature on your layout.

You will have to purchase a Dapol Deltic prototype kit and fit it to a Lima Deltic chassis. Properly done it looks terrific. Here is an example of what can be done. Seen on the Kitmaster stand at the Warley show at the NEC:-

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The prototype was in the Science Museum at South Kensington for some years together with 4073 'Caerphilly Castle'. They were moved out in the 1990s, I recall, when that part of the Science Museum was being reordered. The Deltic went to the NRM at York. When I last checked the NRM web-site a couple of weeks ago it was listed as being at 'Locomotion', the relatively new outstation at Shildon.

I motorised an Airfix model some 40 years ago using Triang bogies which were not quite right. I've just got a second-hand Lima Deltic which I'm going to use in place of the Triang bogies. There will need to be some minor work on the Lima chassis; there are differences between the underfloor tanks on the prototype and the production run.

Can anyone tell me the shade of grey paint to use on the roof and bogies, please?

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
334 Posts
I made one from the Airfix/Dapol kit and used Fox Transfers for the lining and I boought flush glaze windows as the kit didn't contain any. I think I got these bits from Mainly Trains - they have a brilliant website. I used a second hand Lima Deltic as a chassis but I understand that some purists think the Lima Class 37 is more accurate. The Blue paint is from Precision Paints and is call Prototype Deltic Blue. Grey was just the nearest grey I could find when matched to photographs.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Here is a link with a few images of the prototype and the box cover of the original Kitmaster kit. The Dapol kit does not contain the glazing so this will have to be sourced seperately:-

http://www.rosebud-kitmaster.co.uk/stepback/stepbackcol.htm

And this link indicates the precise colours required. P225 Dull Roof Grey and Bogie Grey for Blue Prototype Deltic and P226 Dull Blue Prototype Deltic Lining Cream and P110 Dull BR Prototype Deltic Blue:-

http://www.north-london-models.com/nlmpaint.htm

The Lima chassis appears to be disgarded by some of those who do the conversion and the bogies alone are used in combination with scratchbuilt weighted plasticard chassis.

These conversions if nicely done can go for big money on Ebay.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Many thanks for the info on paint colours, etc.

I'm hoping to visit NRM &/or Shildon in late September to have another look at the actual loco. Then back to the workbench during the Winter months.

Regards,
John Webb

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found a few Lima chassis and a body or two. I'll let you know in due course how mine turn out.

It's a great model to run as a transition period loco. I think that is would have pulled similar coaches to the last of the steam locomotives. Right?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Likewise with mine when its done.

The rosebud-kitmaster web-site Gary lists shows it pulling what appear to be Gresley coaches, although they look rather grubby. I havn't been able to find any photos of it in my railway books of when it was in actual service. So I presume that as it replaced a steam loco on the East Coast main line anything long-distance on that line hauled between 1955 and 1959 is appropriate.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Offered at a recent Vectis sale:-

Deltic bodykit professionally constructed and correctly painted in a blue livery with white roof and extra detailing, mounted on Co-Co Lima Deltic chassis, condition Near Mint to Mint in Good Lima box.

Price Realised: £110 (plus 17.5% buyers premium)

Vectis are at www.vectis.co.uk

As I hinted earlier, do it right and it is possible to make a full time living out of building this model!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I saw and touched the prototype Deltic at Shildon while visiting 'Locomotion' last week (28th Sept). I thought the raised 'whiskers' mouldings each end on the model had been put there by Airfix to make painting easier - But the prototype has them as well! I think the Airfix ones are a bit overscale in depth - on the prototype they are only about 0.5inch (12mm) high. L:ikewise the side panel lining is also raised.

In addition to the yellow the whiskers and sidelining both have a 0.25 inch (6mm) black line round them which is not obvious in photos, only when close to the machine. I'll try and post some pictures when I get them back.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
521 Posts
On a light hearted note, I could never work up the slightest affection for Deltics, just because they replaced our beloved Gresley Pacifics on the East Coast. I suppose something had to do it and the Deltics were fine locomotives, but I'll always bear them a grudge for this unforgivable sacrilege!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Re the paints - went to the Precision Paints stand at the West Watford exhibition this weekend. Deltic Blue is still available, but the Deltic grey is now deleted from their range - unless you can find a retailer with old stock. They couldn't recommend any other grey from their range.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can recall being up close and personal with the prototype Deltic back in 2000 when I was in the UK and visited the NRM at York. I recently got back into OO after giving up on N due to my eyesight (or lack of). Picked up the Dapol kit from a local model shop and have aquired the glazing pack from South Eastern Finecast. Still have to get the transfers and etched plates from Fox though. All the remains is to do something about powering the beastie. I'm looking at using a Barchmann Deltic rather than a Lima one.

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
QUOTE (OfficerDonNZ @ 18 Jun 2007, 00:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All that remains is to do something about powering the beastie. I'm looking at using a Bachmann Deltic rather than a Lima one.
Good choice. I elected to leave the floor plate out of the kit, and cut the underframe tanks off to make a bodyshell that is a near direct replacement for the Bachmann body, so that it is the Bachmann underframe that is on show.

Compromises and things to be aware of:

The chassis of the prototype unit had several differences from the production version: slightly shorter overall length, shorter between bogie centres, small difference in wheel spacing on the bogies, different bogie construction, that sort of thing. It is necessary to shorten and shape the ends of the plastic chassis tray (by about 1mm) to fit inside the slightly different nose profile, also to take off locating mouldings inside the body side panels to clear the chassis. It would be possible to use the kit parts with some significant chassis mods to get closer to prototype, but the deviations are within the 3 - 4 % that is typically acceptable.

Upside:

It looks OK and performs really well, put a lovely maximum load East coast train of Gresley, Thompson and BR mk1 stock behind it, and it will take them away quietly up to a realistic top speed. You can recycle some of the Bach body shell parts like the fans into the kit.

For a reference picture, Colour-Rail DE574 shows this machine operating as I remember it. Complete with ex-LNE white round bodied steam era express headlamps one above each buffer, and what looks like an all maroon set, GresleyBSK, ThompsonSK, Gresley, BRmk1...indistinct...vehicle 8 is a catering coach of some sort, in what is probably a 12 coach train; wah wah wah wah wah wah trailing off into the distance.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Strangely enough I always preferred DP2. (I think that stood for Deltic Prototype 2) The 50's never really had the English Electric "look".

Regards

John

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
I was told that DP was 'Demonstration Prototype'. Dick Hardy had some decided opinions about the excellence of DP2, and the sorry mess that was the class 50, as a result of all the extra tackle that BR pushed into a fundamentally sound and robust design. Strangely anodyne machines in appearance, looking very much like my very old Electrolux cylinder vacuum cleaner. Always seemed very strange to introduce another class 4d/e design when 50 more 47's would have done just as well. Just the little matter of being able to lease them and thus not have to see the capital charge I suppose...

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE the sorry mess that was the class 50, as a result of all the extra tackle that BR pushed into a fundamentally sound and robust design. Strangely anodyne machines in appearance, looking very much like my very old Electrolux cylinder vacuum cleaner. Always seemed very strange to introduce another class 4d/e design when 50 more 47's would have done just as well. Just the little matter of being able to lease them and thus not have to see the capital charge I suppose...

I had the impression that the 50s were a test bed for the HST engine. Am I mistaken?

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 19 Jun 2007, 17:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Strangely anodyne machines in appearance, looking very much like my very old Electrolux cylinder vacuum cleaner.

Well they did get the nickname "Hoovers"

QUOTE (dwb @ 19 Jun 2007, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had the impression that the 50s were a test bed for the HST engine. Am I mistaken?

As far as I remember the 50's (D400-D449) were introduced as a stop gap for the West Coast main line until the electrification was completed in 1974 and the advent of the class 87. Interestingly enough they had to double head over Shap.

As an aside I believe they were the first diesel locos to appear in corporate blue with full yellow ends from new.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE As far as I remember the 50's (D400-D449) were introduced as a stop gap for the West Coast main line until the electrification was completed in 1974
Now that you say it, I think you're right.

David

1 - 20 of 21 Posts