Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 9 Aug 2008, 09:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The article on the BR 8F was very interesting. Here are the drawings (12mm scale) of the two proposals. I too have altered the running board as there is no doubt they would have appeared thus. View attachment 609 View attachment 610

To print out to 4mm scale set at 32%

Hi St.J
Love the line drawings where did they come from?

Andii

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 14 Aug 2008, 13:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What are the major differences?

Hi John

At a quick glance the obvious ones, to me anyway, are cabs, boilers and tenders. The top one looks more like the thinking was based around the class 5 and the lower around the 9F. Just my opinion though.

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 9 Aug 2008, 16:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The article on the BR 8F was very interesting. Here are the drawings (12mm scale) of the two proposals. I too have altered the running board as there is no doubt they would have appeared thus. To print out to 4mm scale set at 32%

***Nice drawings, but looking at it with that awful clipped Ivatt cab design and the high running plate, I'm pleased they never happenned!

Richard

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 14 Aug 2008, 12:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe because its late, but to me both drawings look very very similar.

What are the major differences?
To expand further, one design has a narrow firebox: pretty much the boiler of the standard five as BRITHO posted, the same sort of relationship that existed between the LMS Black 5 and 8F which had boilers of similar design and capacity.

The other is a wide firebox design, in an arrangement similar in concept to that on the 9F. But there the similarity ends, as it would have to be a completely new design of boiler: one approach would be to take the 'Clan' boiler and for modelling purposes 'trim the barrel and firebox depth to fit' much as the Brit boiler was cut down to suit the 9F.

But the BR 8F was never a real possibility, there being plenty of reasonably new Stanier 8F and the related WD design 2-8-0's available, and numbers of other 8 coupled types perfectly fit for many more years to cover their class of work in the antiquated technique then dominant: low speed mineral haulage in tiny loose coupled unbraked wagons. (As BR discovered when diesels were introduced and the extra power made higher speeds possible, all that meant was that derailments became much more common. BR then had to scrap (at last) most of the small unbraked loose coupled wagons, and introduce continuous braking in a hurry. You really couldn't make up a tale of greater ineptitude...)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Were BR planning to build this loco, as I do remember plans to build a standard class 2-8-2 before the 9f. I would have liked to have seen that run, looks quite powerful. Shame it wasn't built, although I do remember the comapny thats designing and building the 5AT is considering an 8AT 2-8-0 after thats built so we could possibly see a modern version of this loco running on the main line in the not so distant future

You should send those drawings to them to use as a refernce for the 8AT project

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 14 Aug 2008, 19:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Were BR planning to build this loco, as I do remember plans to build a standard class 2-8-2 before the 9f.
When the BR standards were in design the initial 9F proposal was a 2-8-2 with 5'3" drivers and a boiler common to that used for the Britannia. The desire to obtain very high route availability combined with a better adhesion factor than the existing eight coupled designs, with the success of the austerity 2-10-0, led to the final 2-10-0 standard, despite this requiring a completely new boiler design. Wasted money really, as the 9F was a mainline type by virtue of its' power output so didn't really require the high route availability achieved, the 2-8-2 format would have been equally effective.
QUOTE ..I do remember the company thats designing and building the 5AT..
A company that has had a web page on further elements 'in construction' for over a year (link in sidebar) http://www.5at.co.uk/ is manifestly not building anything I am afraid. Purest vapourware.

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 14 Aug 2008, 19:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When the BR standards were in design the initial 9F proposal was a 2-8-2 with 5'3" drivers and a boiler common to that used for the Britannia. The desire to obtain very high route availability combined with a better adhesion factor than the existing eight coupled designs, with the success of the austerity 2-10-0, led to the final 2-10-0 standard, despite this requiring a completely new boiler design. Wasted money really, as the 9F was a mainline type by virtue of its' power output so didn't really require the high route availability achieved, the 2-8-2 format would have been equally effective.

A company that has had a web page on further elements 'in construction' for over a year (link in sidebar) http://www.5at.co.uk/ is manifestly not building anything I am afraid. Purest vapourware.

Thanks for the information on the 9f 2-8-2 didn't know about that info.

what you said about the 5AT project from what i've read on their site I do believe that the 5AT project could work if they get enough support and financial backing to build it

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Nice drawing. It's a loco I would have like to have seen built.

Regards
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 20 Aug 2008, 01:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You asked about the drawings. I created them using the original diagrams as a base and adding the details using a Graphics package.

You are right about the two designs - one used the Standard Five boiler and the other a shortened version of the 9F boiler.

Here is the 2-8-2 View attachment 641

·
Registered
19 Posts
An old thread, I know, but I'd be very interested to see the drawings and pictures that were originally inserted in some of these posts, if any of the posters have them still. There are some drawings of possible designs in the RCTS Vol 4 about the 9Fs, and also in E.S. Cox's book on the Standards, but not too much detail.

Am I right to conclude that an issue of Hornby Magazine included an article about the proposed 8F? If so, which back issue should I try to buy?! Aug/Sept 2008?

Thanks in advance,

Iain

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Iain
The article about the BR standard 2-8-0 is in the September 2008 issue of Hornby Magazine (issue 15), just a couple of pages.
mal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts