Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was privileged to see "Bramble Bottom" a layout of outstanding quality built and exhibited by St Neots MRC.

Nothing unusual in that you might think until you realise that the trains are operated by mice and voles. This layout is pure fantasy and is, in a word, superb.

The attention to detail is fabulous and the layout was equaly popular with people of all ages.

Full marks to the club for producing a layout which to me epitomises what railway modelling is all about - fun!

If you have seen this layout or anything similar what are your views?

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for the link Doug - I tried to take some pics but got the camera settings well & truely wrong.

Bramble Bottom was a really popular layout - most of the time you could only just see it for the crowds.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I've seen this a couple of times at recent exhibitions. It is very good and full of little details which seem to fascinate the younger visitors - and it is always displayed at a level suitable for the young to directly view. There is always something going on as well to keep viewers engrossed. I am much impressed, although it's not quite my cup of tea.

Has anyone ever modelled the 'Forest of Boland Light Railway'? This is a book by "BB" (D Watkins-Pitchford) published in the 1940s, in which a railway is run by dwarves. There are some delightful drawings of the railway and its loco.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 22 Jan 2008, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anyone ever modelled the 'Forest of Boland Light Railway'? This is a book by "BB" (D Watkins-Pitchford) published in the 1940s, in which a railway is run by dwarves. There are some delightful drawings of the railway and its loco.

John,

I've never heard of this but it sounds interesting, just to clarify is the book called "The Forest of Boland light Railway"?

Regards

·
Registered
421 Posts
Has anyone ever modelled the 'Forest of Boland Light Railway'? This is a book by "BB" (D Watkins-Pitchford) published in the 1940s, in which a railway is run by dwarves. There are some delightful drawings of the railway and its loco.

Regards,
John Webb
[/quote]

Hi John - yes actually I started to model something based on this book in my garden, but had to move house when I lost my job. I have two much modified Mamod locos (live steam 32mm gauge) one called 'Belle' after the 'Boland Belle' loco in the book and another 'Hal O' the Hob' after their Chief. I have a number of other locos named after other fictional or real people such as 'Uther' (Pendragon), 'Esme' (Weatherwax). Open trucks lettered F.B.L.R etc and not much track in a very tiny and sloping garden!
Incidentally 'Hal' (and others) has been seen at many Exhibitions over the years (Surrey 16mm N.G. Group) and only a very few spectators pick up on the name!

Regards
David Y

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 22 Jan 2008, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anyone ever modelled the 'Forest of Boland Light Railway'? This is a book by "BB" (D Watkins-Pitchford) published in the 1940s, in which a railway is run by dwarves. There are some delightful drawings of the railway and its loco.

Regards,
John Webb

Gonna have to go ferreting around in the loft now as I'm sure I have a reprint of that book somewhere

Never throw anything away

Train World Publication Font Book

First published in 1955 by Eyre & Spottiswoode (publishers) Ltd my copy is the 6th impression from 1980

Attachments

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Well I never! Nice to see my comment about "The Forest of Boland Light Railway" triggered off a few recollections. I thought it would be one of those books hardly anyone today would recognise! I'm still looking for my copy; seems to have been mislaid, but it was a reprint from 1969 according to my records.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The simple answer is yes - www.countrysidemodels.co.uk/gallery_boland/fobmain.htm

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts