Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
...Well she has finally arrived and I think was worth the wait Neil.
As usual, a very detailed review, thanks.
One question tough, were these magnificent machines ever hauled the Orient Express in its lifetime?

Thanks once again and hope you enjoy its run.

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Superb review on a superb locomotive - I'm just glad I have no excuse at all to buy one !

Thanks for the review & excellent photo's Neil, it's nice to see a locomotive on an actual layout Neil.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
An excellent review Neil and many thanks for taking the time to produce it. The detailing on your layout really enhances the model.

I am just glad I don't model that era - I never would have any money!

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I wondered when we would get an explanation for the new photo in Neil's signature

It's a lovely looking loco and it's a great review but I'm not sure I could part with that much dosh for a HO scale model. Still it's nice to enjoy it at someone else's expense.....

Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Erkut, I wouldn't have thought it pulled the Orient Express on a regular basis as it was a Prussian loco and the OE tended to go through Bavaria but it may well have done at some point when the Belgians ran it.

Peter, it is quite possible. They tended to be more willing to experiment in the early days and many unusual locos were tried.

Here are some clips to allow you to hear the sound decoder on the S9. I'm still uploading them as they take around four hours but only have two to go so you can enjoy most of them now.

The first one goes through all the functions in sequence.

The second one has the loco moving away at slow speed.

Another one of the loco moving off.

One of the loco moving along at a middle speed.

Continuing along at a middle speed.

One of the loco moving at slow speed. Gives a view the the upper section of the loco and coaches.

Upper section again from a different angle.

This one demonstrates the change in sound when backing off on the throttle.

This one demonstrates the braking sound when going from high speed to an abrupt halt.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Apologies for the thread resurrection but does anyone know who was the manufacturer of the sound decoder for this loco

I have the opportunity to buy the non-DCC sound version and will need to get the SD and speaker

Thanks for any information. Cheers

·
Untitled
472 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 20 Feb 2016, 21:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Apologies for the thread resurrection but does anyone know who was the manufacturer of the sound decoder for this loco

I have the opportunity to buy the non-DCC sound version and will need to get the SD and speaker

Thanks for any information. Cheers
Hello,

Necromancy is good.

Brawa were using ESU at this point, I think. Check the leaflet download at Brawa for this model; it may have the info you're looking for. The website will ID the interface type.
Check Kramm's and some other retailers, this loco is part of the current clearance. My silent version is in customs now, the current price (299 -vat) made it the winner.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Cheers Adrian - sometimes I miss the ble**in' obvious...I am also on that sourcing trail - seems to be that time of the year...

Back again (within edit time window :)

Seems the S9 was a 4-cylinder locomotive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_S_9

ESU show nothing specific for the S9 / BR14 so was wondering if this would be OK

http://www.esu.eu/produkte/loksound/loksound-l-v40/

and S3/6

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/gene...51f25a0bc9ddff7

Zimo also show a Free download here for the S3/6 (4 cylindres) http://www.zimo.at/web2010/sound/tableindex_EN.htm#DE

Maybe need to do some more research on t'internet...

·
Untitled
472 Posts
Hello,

It's there - 17412. They labelled it BR18, but the desc is S9/BR14, as is the photo.
I have 3 Prussian 3-axle abteilwagons to match. Not having much joy with a baggage and/or suitable mail car. A goods train van is all I have currently. Meh, I waited 4 years for the loco.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Aaargh - thanks Adrian. Once again missed that, going the hard way looking at the actual decoders...Sorted

Can empathise on the early stock, but for me, if it looks OK, it'll do ie some of my early stock will be a mix of brown and green items
To paraphrase, in my MR, no need for rivets to get in the way of a good aesthetic

Cheers

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Cheers Ian - I need about 6 decoders so am researching for a bulk deal with someone...

Adrian - on way now from Kramm as MSL would have matched the price but didn't have in stock (odd that they all suddenly disappeared with such a price drop :)
Gave me the opportunity to pick up one of the illuminated Brawa platform clocks on special as well...

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Nothing to do with the models, but why were these engines so shit in operation? All withdrawn by mid-20's (ok I know about the Belgian reparations)
Why were the 'de Glehn' Atlantics on the GWR so shit in operation? (couldn't just be lazy GWR railwaymen not bothered to do routine maintenance, surely ? like the Warships and Westerns?)
So why did the Midland compounds run until the late 50's early 60's (forget the Andy Capp loco, please), why did the Bayern compounds run and were even rebuilt (18.6) as compounds so successfully?
I am no mechanical engineer, but weighing up the evidence, I'd say merely, FFS - 'put the HP cylinders on the inside'
Cheers,

·
Untitled
472 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 23 Feb 2016, 15:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers Ian - I need about 6 decoders so am researching for a bulk deal with someone...

Adrian - on way now from Kramm as MSL would have matched the price but didn't have in stock (odd that they all suddenly disappeared with such a price drop :)
Gave me the opportunity to pick up one of the illuminated Brawa platform clocks on special as well...

Hello, yes mine arrived last week and included features like a loose (in the box) front buffer and a dislodged front lamp. Still, in five years, I haven't had many disappointments like this.

I wasn't aware that the MSL price matching policy related to 'in stock' items...
They have been running an unpublished policy recently of not passing on any of the Brawa promotional pricing. But I see now a few locos at the discounted rate. Maybe this policy hasn't translated into the sale of a ROFL item as expected, perhaps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts