Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for places that sell bridge kits....
I was looking at the Hornby grand suspention bridge but it looks to fake......however i like the idea of a suspention bridge and the lengh that it spans. also i am looking to have another bridge net to it ( similar to fourth rail bridge ) to make a similar span
Does anyone out there know of places to get good kits for this

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the faller H0 Large Arch Bridge with 6 Piers 0.7cm each, 36 x 6.5 x 13cm (1) looks impresive ..........
now does any body know a good suspetion bridge.......all the ones mentioned above are Truss or viaduct type

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hope you are not considering usinga suspension bridge to carry a railway!
Most unprototypical. The very nature of the design ie; flexing in high winds would make it unsuitable for rail use.
I have never seen a suspension bridge used as a railway carrying bridge unless any one else knows different!
If you have a large span to cross consider a truss girder bridge (Dapol kit) A plate girder bridge (Wills Vari girder) or a viaduct.

Regards
Frank

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - suspention bridge is out.

What i need then is one bridge that can take two tracks or two seperate bridges that can look as if it is spanning an esturay type setting. As said before the faller H0 Large Arch Bridge with 6 Piers looks good but i would not want wo of the same and a viaduct will look out of place. Could the faller bridge be adapted to take twin tracks?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Dukedog @ 6 Apr 2007, 21:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hope you are not considering usinga suspension bridge to carry a railway!
Most unprototypical. The very nature of the design ie; flexing in high winds would make it unsuitable for rail use.
I have never seen a suspension bridge used as a railway carrying bridge unless any one else knows different!
If you have a large span to cross consider a truss girder bridge (Dapol kit) A plate girder bridge (Wills Vari girder) or a viaduct.

Regards
Frank

The Noch ones (cat nos.53501/3), albeit a modern design are - you can see one in use (a small one, but suspension all the less) on the M25 in the SW section - can't remember the line it carries or the junction numbers though.

Modelmasters have the Noch one on their layout which can be seen on their website.
www.modelmasters.co.uk
www.noch.de
www.noch.com

·
Registered
351 Posts
The original Niagara Falls railway bridge near Buffalo, New York, was a suspension bridge (long since replaced by a steel arch). It was said that you could see a wave in the deck preceding the train as it crossed... Please don't do it!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I believe Aushagen make a card kit of at least one bridge, and also Casalux do laser cut card kits - if you can get hold of them.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
>It's a pretty impressive bridge - as it happens I have a model of it sitting in my office awaiting a suitable project !
Isn't this bridge on the BLS line between Goppenstein and Kandersteg in the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland?

David

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
QUOTE (peteuk @ 7 Apr 2007, 04:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am looking for places that sell bridge kits....
I was looking at the Hornby grand suspention bridge but it looks to fake......however i like the idea of a suspention bridge and the lengh that it spans. also i am looking to have another bridge net to it ( similar to fourth rail bridge ) to make a similar span
Does anyone out there know of places to get good kits for this

Thanks

Pete,

Don't know about kits - never really used them because most of the British ones (can't speak for the Euro ones) have inaccuracies (real ones not built that way), but you could try building your own like this:

http://mrol.gppsoftware.com/viaduct.aspx

Graham Plowman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gentlemen,
Have a look at the Tsing Ma bridge in Hong Kong: road and rail, 2,2km and the primary link to chek lap kok airport!.
Best regards from South Africa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts