Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a good look at at this highly innovative and bold design with a humble 9ft x 11 ft room which is very similar to what many British modellers have. IE often the spare room ! This is one reason why I will continue to subscribe and support Model Railroader magazine, it's just about the only magazine on the market which comes up with new layout designs on a regular basis. This particular one won the Layout planning prise run by the magazine.

While this is a switching layout it would be a simple task to incorporate some type of terminal or even a through station.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I agree with you on the layouts in MR mag. Well drawn too.

That particular layout would need some powerful locos to haul trains up the steep gradients on the bends. Not impossible, but most British outline stock wouldn't manage it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree. They seem to be prepared to consider more options.
Also good to see not all Americans have acres of space in their basements available!
What issue was that plan in Makemine?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear MMaD,

Thanks for posting that. The room is almost exactly the same size as the room I am planning to use, except my door opens to the left, rather than the right. Still, it has given me an idea of how to slew the approach to a station on the same side as the door and still be able to use the door while the layout is up and running. I was thinking of a lifting section that would block the door, but now I see that I can avoid that and still have a decent layout in the room.

You see a lot of track plans for modest size rooms that do not accommodate the door, but then you see something like this and the light bulb goes on.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fantastic I'm pleased to have been of assistance. I put two other designs featured in the same issue in my Blog as it's been sometime since I made an entry.
Certainly as was said the penny dropped.........in my case where and how to locate the fiddle yard. When you see something it just presses the right button and on you go.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
MMD,

You have inspired me with this one.

I have just subscribed to MRM. 1 year subscription.

Was considering a couple of other mags but you triggered it off.

Thanks

Baykal

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE Model Railroader is a good magazine. They do have some good articles and best of all they are enthusiastic about the hobby. It's a breath of fresh air compared with the stuffy one upmanship of RM and co.

We've covered this before, but there's no harm in thrashing it again:

British Railway Modelling is the most improved local magazine by far, the photography is outstanding and the content is excellent and interesting. They now have a regular DCC page and there's a nice balance about the magazine. From being my third choice it has now reached the top of the tree, and I've renewed my subscription.

I've stopped buying the Railway Toddler on a regular basis although I concede they have at least put an effort to improve. Certainly the photography is outstanding. More effort needs to be put into the content, perhaps an injection by expert pages might spruce things up. This is down to the editor, who in IMHO
doesn't do a true professional job it's rather a case of continuing a tradition. "Times are changing" " so shake it up a bit Peco. They do have the largest support base from advertising, and they do an excellent job of publishing dates for exhibitions and swop meets.

Model Rail has no largely become a modern traction magazine. The editorial comment has sunk to new low levels of garbage and recycling. Model Rails physical pages are are printed on very poor quality paper. The worst I've ever seen. It does seem to be treading water these days, will it improve ?. Perhaps it's time for a new editor to breath new life in it's increasing jaded pages. I've renewed my subscription, but it's on probation this time.

Model Railroader. This is everything British magazines are not. It has an extensive on line forum and promotes on line trading in books and education material in an almost aggressive way. The magazine always features DCC related articles, good reviews, and yet seems to reach every level of modeller. As stated it does have it's own brand of enthusiasm a factor missing from some British magazines. It has regular features on layout design and the support drawing are outstanding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 4 Jun 2007, 16:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fantastic I'm pleased to have been of assistance. I put two other designs featured in the same issue in my Blog as it's been sometime since I made an entry.
Certainly as was said the penny dropped.........in my case where and how to locate the fiddle yard. When you see something it just presses the right button and on you go.

Dumb question, where is your blog?

Colin

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 4 Jun 2007, 16:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fantastic I'm pleased to have been of assistance. I put two other designs featured in the same issue in my Blog as it's been sometime since I made an entry.

MMAD You say here you have put the other two on your blog and I presume that is what colinw is referring to. I have just had a look at your blog and the last entry is dated July 2006. I wouldn't mind having a look at the other two layouts if you know where you have put them. I would have a faily big gap to bridge if I did it in my spare room. New bungalow wheelchair friendly doors etc. I am not sure if a lift out section would be the best idea as the hinges on the top of the board are a bit intrusive unless it is on the fiddle yard. At the moment my room is occupied by a desk as well as the layout but I certainly could fit a 1' board behind the desk without too much of a problem.

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chris has summed it up, MMAD I clicked your Blog link to see the other plans you said you were uploading but your last entry is June 2006. Just wondered if you had another blog.

Just interested in plans, the 9 x 11 you posted looks like it could have potential for me. As for the July 2007 Model Railroader, I'll pick up a copy when I see it but my Smiffs doesn't tend to get it until the around the 1st of the month (published month at that which is unusual in the mag world).

ColinW

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
It is a good design, and could easily be translated into a UK setting, serving multiple industries in an urban area.

(Given up on UK mags, except for an annual purchase principally for the ads, when some more than averagely interesting content is on offer. Is it just me, or are there simply too many, chasing too little content? I have the feeling that two mags would be more than sufficient, one with a 'for beginners' angle, the other in MRJ territory but with a respectable quantity of content.)

What's particularly commendable about this item, is the apparent thought it has for 'constructability': there are the radii and point types, the grade necessary for transitioning between levels. In my youth when the RM published a 'trackplan of the month' how often was the conclusion that it was not possible with RTR points, at least if there was to be any space to run more than a tank loco and two coaches.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Hum I'm confused because I can see then on my latest entry

Have you "checked" the publish box?

I have been waiting to see the plans too.

David

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Profuse apologies thanks for telling me to publish the plans - it's been so long I'd forgotten. At last the other two layouts are available. You might think the space in the second one is a little large but this can easily be compacted. The layout plan in my case will be redrawn to suit - but it's the concept. I've always liked the idea of two fiddle yards, my last layout featured Bournemouth and Birmingham New Street as the fiddle yards and it works really well. Running into a terminus with engine changes to a time table puts a bit of pressure on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts