Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
its not really my cup of T as far as loco's are concerned but there is a new picture of the hornby Brit on pat hammonds web site.

the loco looks good. i am still not really tempted though mabye when i see it in the flesh.

Peter

[Note from Doug at MRF] There is now a full review of the Hornby Britannia with a few videos on page 4 of this topic here.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 15 May 2006, 15:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its not really my cup of T as far as loco's are concerned but there is a new picture of the hornby Brit on pat hammonds web site.

the loco looks good. i am still not really tempted though mabye when i see it in the flesh.

Peter

I've lost pat's site have you got a web address. I've got all of them pre ordered

Ozzie21

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 15 May 2006, 09:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can never recall having seen a white pipe on a running Brit.

They started getting the smaller pipes lagged during the early 1960's. Obviously they didn't stay white for very long...

70000 Britannia has its small pipes lagged at the moment.

I really am looking forward to seeing the finished model now!

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well it looks good
. Shame we have to wait on it. It'll probably arrive at the same time as the Bachmann 9F's.

Ozzie21

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Noting that Hornby have put some pictures up on their own website of this new model aren't the pictures rubbish!

The news story invites us to look at the pictures but on that evidence they look no different to the old Britannia as its impossible to tell if it is not the old Britannia!

The pictures are too small and too dark.

Even the picture at MRE mag could be bigger and clearer.

Bachmann are also guilty of this at times.

I would have thought that over and beyond anybody else Hornby and Bachmann should be capable of offering world class pictures so that we can ooooh and aaaah properly about their new products.

Why are they not capable of doing this?

To me it defies logic!

Could I invite both Hornby and Bachmann to pass on all original preview images to Model Rail Forum so that we can process them properly and do your work justice!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Here! Here!

After over 2 months silence on the Hornby website, I was keen to see these new pictures. After some moments right clicking, left clicking on the images I realised that they were all part of one meagre image. Anti climax or what?

Surely it cannot be all that difficult to set up a digital camera with a good macro facility to take a few closeups and then post them so that those of us who are interested can download them for a bit of drooling?

This may be a slight under estimate, but as far as I can see the few improvements over my 1966 vintage Brit are flanges on all wheels and glazed windows at the front of the cab.

So come on Mr. K, let's have some decent size photos!

David

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do not worry much about seeing pictures in advance as I have come to trust Hornby enough to order models before I have actually seen them.
I just hope there will be a weathered Brittania! Rails of Sheffield are not sure whether Firth of Tay will be weathered as earlier announced or pristine as shown in the catalogue. I like Hornby factory weathering and buy almost only weathered locos. Its amazing that the weathered ones are not more expensive! Thank you Hornby!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I custom weather my locos should the need be and my method has drastically inproved over the 2 years I have begun weathering in although factory weathering can achieve things i cant like the grey western region locomotives used to turn into the 1960s a weathered brit would be quite cool although some people dont like dirty engines especially express locomotives like brits and A4s etc

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Well folks, I have just had the new Hornby Britannia in! The first example we have received is R2563, # 70030 William Wordsworth. IMO Hornby's pre-release photos did not do these models justice - they are superb. The pony truck is very well executed and the detailing pack is full of goodies. The mechanical lubricator linkage almost looks as if it could work!! The thing I liked best, however, was the coal load for the tender - you'll have to get one to see what I mean.....

The packaging is also greatly improved, now with a soft plastic enveloping the loco and tender - full marks Hornby!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
In future all Hornby tender locos will be loco drive. The "Brit" has a good solid chassis so it should have plenty of tractive effort. I was incredibly impressed to see that the driving wheels had the correct web for the centre boss - in order to accomodate the largest possible cylinders but still keep their centre line within the loading gauge, Riddles put the flare on the web behind the wheels, allowing the frames to be set closer together and thus permit large cylinders. Hornby got this detail right.

I wonder if they'll get the changes in fluted / plain coupling rods and the handrails / handholds on the smoke deflectors.....

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
OK, now "Britannia" has turned up - "cycling lion", handrails on the deflectors and fluted coupling rods. 10/10 so far Hornby!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.