Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted by me in the Britannia review I finally have mine and as previously posted it had a fault in that the motor wouldn't turn. I fixed that and left it for a couple weeks while I was away. I picked up a couple of Lenz Silver decoders and decided to put one in the "Brit", I had fitted a Le1035. A quick unplug and replug and hey presto job is done but all is not well! I have developed a short across the track pickups with the Silver decoder installed. I pulled it out and stuck it in an A3 that's getting weight added and it worked fine, back into the Brit and it won't work. I pulled the socket out and hard wired the decoder, short is still there. I've not experienced this in a RTR model before, plenty of times in kit built locos yes but never in RTR. Anyone experienced anything similar with a new Brit?

Ozzie21.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but I have a Brit that sometimes shorts. This is due to the fixed trailing wheels, when going over short points. It creates the short when the wheel bridges the gap between the rails.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (disco-dave @ 22 Jan 2007, 17:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but I have a Brit that sometimes shorts. This is due to the fixed trailing wheels, when going over short points. It creates the short when the wheel bridges the gap between the rails.

Another good reason to get rid of this
idea !

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it's not that. It's there when I test the install which is on the bench on a sheet of glass. Thanks anyway.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (disco-dave @ 23 Jan 2007, 04:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but I have a Brit that sometimes shorts. This is due to the fixed trailing wheels, when going over short points. It creates the short when the wheel bridges the gap between the rails.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not a bad idea as it does remove that unsightly gap that usually there on Hornby locos. I guess it's there way of getting the loco around trainset curves which is governing factor. If we really were scale modellers none of us would have curves large enough to even get an 0-6-0 around.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 23 Jan 2007, 05:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another good reason to get rid of this
idea !

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 22 Jan 2007, 21:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or make sure the frog is electrically separate from the switch blades when laying the points.

Not much help if you've already laid the points before deciding to go DCC , I admit

Too late!

The new models come with a traditional trailing bogie now, rather than the fixed one I've got. That should solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well problem solved. One of the motor brushes is loose in it's holder so I had to pull the motor apart and relocate it. Looks like I had a bit to much heat on the iron when I soldered the wires back on. Anyway all fixed, Lenz Gold installed now and she's running like swiss watch. I've added some front lamps, a crew, a Kadee 20 on the tender and fixed the detail pack in place. That scale screw link coupling the supply with detail pack is a gem and it's at least half the size of a Slaters one. One other thing I noticed today when I was test running it was that when the tender is close coupled it was lifting off when going through my curves which are 36" to 42" radius. I trimmed the nibs off the tender buffing plates and that solved that problem. Next problem will be sound.

Ozzie21

·
Administrator
9,895 Posts
>when the tender is close coupled ..... I trimmed the nibs off the tender buffing plates and that solved that problem
That's a handy tip

David

·
Registered
8 Posts
MY Brit Oliver Cromwell out of the box in with silver decoder 0003 on prog track on main track 18 coaches sweet as a nut and round set track curvers at slow speed. I am a diesel man but my grandfather drove Ollie from Norwich to Liverpool St in the early sixtys so I had to buy one to honour his memory. David F

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (davidshailer @ 24 Jan 2007, 14:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>MY Brit Oliver Cromwell out of the box in with silver decoder 0003 on prog track on main track 18 coaches sweet as a nut and round set track curvers at slow speed. I am a diesel man but my grandfather drove Ollie from Norwich to Liverpool St in the early sixtys so I had to buy one to honour his memory. David F

Best reason I can think of!! And don't forget Ollie is finally undergoing a full overhaul, so could possibly return to the main.

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That will be well worth seeing. I have a couple of dvd's with Britannia in it from it's runs in the early nineties including when she failed on the test run from Crewe with a crook big end. Never seen a single cylinder loco run , it was most interesting. With Ollie coming back and Britannia and Tornado next year steam never looked so good.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (BRITHO @ 25 Jan 2007, 01:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Best reason I can think of!! And don't forget Ollie is finally undergoing a full overhaul, so could possibly return to the main.

Regards

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (disco-dave @ 23 Jan 2007, 01:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Too late!

The new models come with a traditional trailing bogie now, rather than the fixed one I've got. That should solve the problem.

Hi,

Which new ones in particular? I have just sent my 70030 to a model maker for a revamp of the trailing bogie. Is it possible that the same is going to happen to the next flight rebuilt WC/BoB locos, by any chance. Love to know how this change of design and heart came about.

Regards,

Hugh Williams.

P.S. Is it possible to point me in the direction of a shop which stocks one of these miraculous models?

·
Administrator
9,895 Posts
>P.S. Is it possible to point me in the direction of a shop which stocks one of these miraculous models?
thumbsup.gif

Check out Ozzie's latest Britannia thread here.

He's found it necessary to perform some surgery to get the flanged wheels to "play nice".

David

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (davidshailer @ 24 Jan 2007, 14:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>MY Brit Oliver Cromwell out of the box in with silver decoder 0003 on prog track on main track 18 coaches sweet as a nut and round set track curvers at slow speed. I am a diesel man but my grandfather drove Ollie from Norwich to Liverpool St in the early sixtys so I had to buy one to honour his memory. David F

Hi,

Would you mind letting me know what your DCC Controller was. I fitted a TCS MC4 to my 70030, and have a ZTC 511 controller. It works fine under dcc control.

Regards,

Hugh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts