Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked abt the Stanier 8F in MRF sometime ago,if any producer had it in HO, just to add for my collection of TCDD loco's.

I am curious, is there any British Steamers in HO scale?

I would like to have, for instance a Flying Scotsman or a 9F, could be interesting.

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
As probably the only modeller of British HO on the forum I can only endorse what Paul has posted. The Scot was produced as 6100 Royal Scot and 6152 Hector. The model has been out of production for a number of years but can still be found on E-bay, but watch the prices.

My example is a very nice model and runs well.

As a final point it is slightly over scale.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Sorry,

forgot to add that Lima did the LMS 4F 0-6-0, not a bad model but better for a bit of work, mainly replacement of the driving wheels.

They can normally be picked up quite cheaply on Ebay.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
over the years, various model railway mags have run articles on british steam in HO......especially 'what' can be adapted from OO stuff.[4mm scale]....
the 'terrier' 0-6-0 tank is deemed a good candidate, as are one or two other SR tanks that can be re-graded to represent similar, but larger prototypes.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 12 Mar 2008, 18:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>over the years, various model railway mags have run articles on british steam in HO......especially 'what' can be adapted from OO stuff.[4mm scale]....

Not only that...I have converted a Fleischmann Black Anna 0-4-0T into a British outline industrial shunter.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
slightly left field, I know...but I 'THINK' bachmann US 'Thomas' range....[some of which are sold in the UK as 'freelance' locos]..is actually 'scaled' more to HO than 4mm...........I am particularly thinking of their Henry, Gordon...and of course, Emily?

Possibilities for kit bashing/ conversions?????

whilst at it,has anybody had a look at bachmann's 'Emily?'

based on Stirling's 8 foot singles?

kitbasher's delight?

was the Kitmaster Stirling single ever continues by any other maker??

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 16 Mar 2008, 17:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>was the Kitmaster Stirling single ever continues by any other maker??
Sadly no. The story goes that the tool for this model was sledgehammered as an encouragement to progress during the negotiation process that lead to the Airfix acquisition.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 16 Mar 2008, 17:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>slightly left field, I know...but I 'THINK' bachmann US 'Thomas' range....[some of which are sold in the UK as 'freelance' locos]..is actually 'scaled' more to HO than 4mm...........I am particularly thinking of their Henry, Gordon...and of course, Emily?

I have considered them, but, and it's a big but, they are not easy to source ib the UK (the joys of product licencing) and I for one am not prepared to risk investment into something which may be unusable.

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 17 Mar 2008, 16:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have considered them, but, and it's a big but, they are not easy to source ib the UK (the joys of product licencing) and I for one am not prepared to risk investment into something which may be unusable.

Yes the two locos in Bachmanns 'Junior' range are based on USA 'Thomas' in HO - but I have heard that they are rather difficult to put back together after dismantling - I don't know if this is correct.

Regards
David Y

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Just out of interest has anyone here seen any of the Bachmann Thomas tender locos?

Regards

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 18 Mar 2008, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just out of interest has anyone here seen any of the Bachmann Thomas tender locos?

Regards
The problem with these is the tenders as they are based on the TV show locos not the real engines, quite a lot of license was taken in all the locos dimensions and the tenders are quite noticeably different and are nothing like the prototype. The engines are pretty basic in all details too and the trouble with dismantling is supposed to be with the moving eye mechanisim which often breaks all by itself.

Available in the uk from,
http://www.shop.thomasrocks.com/index.php?...=20a&page=3

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My daughters Marklin Thomas and Percy are definately not HO, but Hornby OO knock offs.

They have no moving eyes, but did come with DCC chips in them.

In some places my loading gauge is quite tight for OO (but in scale for HO) so although they have free range on the layout, there is not a lot of clearance through two of the tunnel mouths.

I still do not understand why they would prefer to see Thomas or Percy running rather than a 20 wagon freight train! The joys of fatherhood!

John

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 19 Mar 2008, 08:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I still do not understand why they would prefer to see Thomas or Percy running rather than a 20 wagon freight train!

Because they haven't seen their father's 20 wagon freight train on the telly smiling at them!

Regards,

Cem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are not too many locos reproduced to HO scale suitable for British layouts. As mentioned, the British HO society website gives a comprehensive list. Occasionally, an oddity does turn up - often hand-built.

I do have a WD 2-10-0 Austerity loco in HO that I will part with. Runs superbly. If anyone is interested, let me know.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (mossdp @ 19 Mar 2008, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do have a WD 2-10-0 Austerity loco in HO that I will part with. Runs superbly. If anyone is interested, let me know.

I'm interested - have you any more details?

Regards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts