Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Can you please recommend a double tunnel portal for the British Wast coast mainline (or Wales) and then another for the East coast mainline.

I'm looking for models or plaster moulds so if you know of something please point me in the right direction.

I have this Skaledale tunnel portal:

and these portal sides:

But I think that the opening is too high and too wide for anything realistic.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Hi Doug,

Do they have to be pre-built resin type?

I only ask as you could look at the Scalescenes portals, these come in a range of brick types and patterns.
If the particular brick or stone type isn't there in the choices, drop John Wiffen an Email he may be able to make a kit up for you in your chosen brick type.

If you look in the scratch builders yard, there are lots of different brick textures, to chose from.

Tunnel Portal

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Doug,

Are your tracks standard Hornby centre-distance apart or a more realistic scale '6ft' apart - if the latter then that maybe why the portal looks overscale?

Regards,
John

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 14 Oct 2008, 17:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Are your tracks standard Hornby centre-distance apart or a more realistic scale '6ft' apart - if the latter then that maybe why the portal looks overscale?

I use the smaller 6' way gauge.

Yep, these Skaledale tunnel portals seem to be unfortunately designed for set-track.

I'm quite keen on the Noch tunnel Portals. Although designed for the continent, there are some UK portals that look similar.

This is the one I'm looking at:

NOC34852 Double Tunnel Portal £5.79 from Ontracks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree the Skaledale tunnel mouth is too wide. What I did was to cut away a small section ( 2 seperate cuts) in the middle which reduced the width. I hide the resulting join by making a small decorative key stone out of card and painted the same colour.You would never know that I have done this.

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
You could bury a little of it into the scenery thus raising the tracks a little. I have the exact same ones and am quite happy with the appearance. Maybe it is the the broad gauge of EM that makes it look ok

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the red brick version and also though it to be very wide, However I set mine at an angle not 90 degrees to the track, this make it look alot narrower.

Cpt Jack

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 14 Oct 2008, 21:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You see the problem with a Class 20 and a Class G2a...

I'm sure it shouldn't be that wide, but perhaps it is modelled after a specific type of portal.

***Hi Doug

here is a drawing and table that gives tunnel dimensions among other things. (Useful for you too Paul - EM dimensions included)

Regards

Richard

Attachments

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Thanks for that Richard.

I think the Capt Jack nailed it though when he said about angling it so it is not necessarily perpendicular to the track as it doesn't actually have to be like that. The drawing from Richard indicates the perpendicular tunnel mouth dimension however angling a larger mouth could result in the same thing.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 16 Oct 2008, 16:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that Richard.

I think the Capt Jack nailed it though when he said about angling it so it is not necessarily perpendicular to the track as it doesn't actually have to be like that. The drawing from Richard indicates the perpendicular tunnel mouth dimension however angling a larger mouth could result in the same thing.

***Only in a face on view - and the railways didn't do it that way... why compromise the quality of a model to accommodate a wrongly dimensioned minor accessory thats clearly designed for toy trainsets not model railways!

Why buy and accept a wrong one when you can make one easily that will look correct.... and with care, a thousand time better than the shop-bought compromises!

The dimensions are all there....

So a bit of 3mm customwood/mdf/ or ply, cut to shape + a small allowance for the DAS thickness, add an ounce or two of DAS stuck to it with PVA & water mix.... wait for it to dry, sand a little, mark out with a pencil then add twenty minutes carving and you have a correct tunnel portal.

You could easily slit and open out a mail tube and create the first few feet of the tunnel at the same time, adding DAS and using the same technique... and then the wings, and the brickwork / drainage if any above and behind the tunnel mouth.... and the retaining walls for the cutting leading to it........

Plastic... who needs it!

Richard

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 14 Oct 2008, 19:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can you please recommend a double tunnel portal for the British Wast coast mainline (or Wales) and then another for the East coast mainline.

I'm looking for models or plaster moulds so if you know of something please point me in the right direction.

I have this Skaledale tunnel....

But I think that the opening is too high and too wide for anything realistic.

Doug,

You could make your own like this: http://www.mrol.com.au/tunnelmouth.aspx

Graham Plowman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts