Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought the February issue of British Railway Modelling. Inside the cellophane cover is a small card insert that offers money off the gate price for the Harrogate show but it has as its headline "25 truly aspirational layouts in this issue".

I aspire to produce a good model railway but in a magazine I want to see layouts that inspire me to do better. Therefore I think that the writer meant to say "25 truly inspirational layouts in this issue". Now we all, including me, make the occasional error of spelling, punctuation, or grammar, but should a professional writer (I assume it was done by someone paid by the magazine) mix up 'inspirational' with 'aspirational'?

If I am correct in this analysis of the situation then I think that things have come to a pretty pass. Or am I just a grumpy old man concerned about standards that no longer apply?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
unfortunately this sort of thing is becoming all to common. In my professional role I frequently have to decide what the writer actually means. (as opposed to what they have apparently written.)

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I think the current attitude is one of ''so what?''...''get a life??''

'standards' are seen as ''so much irrelevance'' these days?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Once upon a time magazines had sub-editors....

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 16 Jan 2008, 19:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Once upon a time magazines had sub-editors....

And printers had proof readers.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts