Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Broke my arm last Tuesday whilst running for a bus in Southwark Bridge Road, London. Had 2 nights in St. Thomas' Hospital and here are the 'before' and 'after' pics:

It is my right arm and I am grounded for 6 weeks, can't drive for that time, no club nights, no exhibitions and have already cancelled my exhibition booking with 'Route's End 2' at Norwich on 29/3.

Any ideas on what I can do as one-handed modelling? Keep it clean please, we have lady members here!!!

Dave

·
Registered
182 Posts
OMG!!
That's not just a fracture is it. Did your hand make the bus, and the rest of you miss it?

Seriously, get well soon, I'm glad they could fix you up.

As for suggestions, the Bachmann Dynamis is just about usable in one hand, if you have big fingers.

Chin Up
Ashley

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Dave,

That's not broken - that's shattered......

As for what you can do, well you could study catalogues on line to look for bits for the new project, after all a computer can be operated single handed.

Hope it heals properly.

Regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
That must of hurt like h£ll. your have to play with vurtual trains and put up with daytime tv for a while me thinks

as above get well soon...............

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Ouch! Seems a bit of an understatement.

Get well soon.

David

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know how you feel - Managed to break both bones in my wrist 6 years ago now and had to have it surgically put back together (Not as bad as yours which really must have hurt!).

As for what to occupy your time with i'd suggest if you have any train simulators or programs such as hornby virtual railway etc then spend time on those until you can use your right hand again

Either way hope it heels soon

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

Thank you for all your support and kind comments (it would've been nice to hear from Madkitten, just to get a bit of cyber TLC).

No, the arm doesn't hurt at all, what really does hurt are my grazed knuckles on my left hand. Will be able to give a talk to the RCTS Cambridge branch on 19/2 and the branch secretary will pick me up from home and return me afterwards. The only thing is I am not wearing a boxing glove, that is the colour and shape of my hand!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Dave,

I´m not Madkitten, but my wishes for "Gute Besserung" are just as sincere.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
My best wishes too for a speedy recovery - take a week or two off to sit quietly by the sea at Totland Bay, perhaps, and contemplate their pier?!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Jeepers that looks like one heck of a break! I'm guessing you missed the bus?!

Hope its not too sore now. At least you will have plenty of time for research over the next few weeks!

Rob

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll add my best wished too.
your Xray Pics made a cold shiver run down my back.

As for one arm modelling... If your right handed enjoy reading all the forums and the monthly mags.
If your left-handed what's holding you back??

All the best, its only 5.3 weeks before the plaster comes off

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 8 Feb 2008, 19:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

Broke my arm last Tuesday whilst running for a bus in Southwark Bridge Road, London. Had 2 nights in St. Thomas' Hospital and here are the 'before' and 'after' pics:

It is my right arm and I am grounded for 6 weeks, can't drive for that time, no club nights, no exhibitions and have already cancelled my exhibition booking with 'Route's End 2' at Norwich on 29/3.

Any ideas on what I can do as one-handed modelling? Keep it clean please, we have lady members here!!!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Bad luck with the broken arm. That really is a bad one. Hope it mends well and you're back out and about before too long.

You could try using one of those Draper 'Helping Hand' gizzmos, failing which it seems the typing finger is still working, so maybe a thought provoking article or two for the forum would be possible.

Only joking.

Take Care & Get Well Soon,

Expat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes Dave,
That is deffinately broken!
You could always paint things, I guess you are (sorry, were, right handed) but it will surprise you how quickly you can train your left hand to be proficient, just start with large scale things like weather washes and gradually work toward more detailed work.
Buy some railway inspired jigsaw puzzles.
Don't you know buses ALWAYS come in 3's so why didn't you just walk and get the one behind!
Sincere wishes for a full repair and recovery.
Duztee

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (Duztee @ 9 Feb 2008, 10:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Don't you know buses ALWAYS come in 3's so why didn't you just walk and get the one behind!...
Duztee

Perhaps it was the third one he was running for!

Continued best wishes,
John Webb

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to local healthcentre last Thursday to get new dressing, and was referred to nearest hospital (15 miles away) fracture clinic. Consultant there examined x-rays and me, took out all my stitches, and gave me a smaller splint covering my wrist and part of lower arm.

Been told not lift anything heavier than a pint of beer (can't even lift an empty glass, now) for 6 weeks and not to drive until after my next visit there in mid-March.

Will be working from home via laptop later this week.

Still left-handed typing, but getting better at it!!!

Dave

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
a speedy recovery to you....

with all that steel work inside, you will have fun with airport security.....................

if you are 'young' they will take it out in a year or two.....if you are 'old', they leave it in.....apparently they like to give the 'crem' workers a problem...what size box for the ashes?
[BTW....the ironwork I had in my leg, once removed, made a very good shelf layout mount............]

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 18 Feb 2008, 11:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good progress Dave & glad to hear it.

You could always start on half pints !

I'll second that but I would start with shorts..............

Regards

1 - 20 of 28 Posts