Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the closing stages of putting together a Parkside GWR Python CCT (kit #37). Unlike the instructions for the pair of LMS CCTs and the long LNER CCT there is no direction to file the top of the buffers flat to give clearance for end loading.

Should the buffers be filed flat or did the GWR just leave them as round?

David

Here's a photo of one of the LMS CCTs. You can just make out that I have filed the top and bottom of the buffers flat.

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>No Picture David
Try again. My ISP is a bit "funny" about supplying my pictures just after I have posted them. Anyway, you've seen it already

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
David,
I am sure I've seen somewhere that the older CCTs had just the top of the buffer flattened to allow the end-loading doors/ramps to lie flat, but I cannot find the information. It may be I've seen this on one of the many preserved lines I've visited.
BR-made GUV vehicles had oval buffers; the details of their CCT(Y) say in effect is is a short version of a GUV and therefore I assume it also had oval buffers.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John.

David

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>The photos I have of GWR Pythons all show round buffers.
Thanks David. I'll take that.

There's a link on the Forum to Paul Bartlett's British Wagon photographs. Unfortunately the Python is not among his "captures". There are quite few LMS CCTs, though. I didn't turn up any photos on Google either. Just the fact that there's a 1919 vintage Python at Didcot.

David

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi David,

If you go to www.gwsmainline.org/zzrollingstock/indices/coaches.htp scroll down to python click on the number there is a photo of a Python. I am also just completing one, what I note from a quick look is that the end steps are missing, how easy it is to fit one at the brake lever end I don't know. Its a change to find a site with photos, its usually just written information.

Regards Bizerba

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bizerba. That photo shows round buffers too.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts