Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought a briefcase today:

Case

I'm going to build a small layout in there with one electric point along the lines of the Marklin Bavarian Briefcase. As I am at still at school and they have a CNC Miller, I am going to 'build' the layout on a CAD program like ProDesktop then cut it out with the millar, then vacuum form it. It will have a battery powered controlled, a mains powered controller and some storage space in the lid for locos and wagons.

For the track, I shall use a Marklin point and Peco flexitrack, although I'm not looking forward to ballasting it

I am already planning 'Mark II' - a solar powered layout with an mp3 player playing 'Winter Wonderland' and a snow machine

WATCH THIS SPACE!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't afford it - I'm still on pocket money

I spoke to my Tech teacher today and he said I can use the miller so now I just need to draw it on the computer

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Owing to some 'technical issues' with the computer software (I can't get the inclines) I have abondoned that part of the plan, and consequently I am building the track base on a piece of hardboard fixed onto the plywood base.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As the case posted in my first post was far too weak, it has been changed to a stronger aluminium 'Sealey tool case'.

I have laid the trackbase down as can be seen in the photo below;

track base

As my local model shop did not have any z gauge flexitrack, I am unable to test it for gradients etc. this is especially bad as I have already started to papier mache most of it:

Papier Mache

I am pretty confident it's ok, but I'll have to wait a week to know for sure

·
Registered
49 Posts
Several Marklin dealers on the Continent were selling off brand new Z gauge solar sets last year for around £150.00. I grabbed a couple and well worth the price to.

A large number ended up in North America.

There are a couple of useful Yahoo groups for Z gauge, one of them dedicated to just the solar set. The main one is very active and lots of posts everyday with a vast amount of useful information.

It seems Z has a huge following over the pond. I thought everything over there was bigger than anywhere else!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've finished the scatter:

Scatter

I think it looks great and I'm really happy with it, although the flexi track still hasn't arrived so I can't test it

I've looking for ways to ballast it: I've found a Peco foam underlay, but if it looks anything like the OO stuff I'll steer well clear. I've also found some ballasted underlay on 'ontracks.co.uk' but I don't think they do flexi underlay
and I've also found a bag of fine ballast at my local model shop - probably the most likely solution, although I'm not looking forward to it...Actually, I have seen ballasting done done with 'fleck stone spay' from plasti kote, but the 'fleckstones' may be too big

I'll keep you all posted whatever happens

I have also changed the battery controller bought with the starter set to variable speed using a scalextric controller (thanks model rail mag).

BTW Dennis, have you got that Noch layout yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts