Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for plans plus hints and tips on how to build a sector plate. I would like some advice on whay materials to use for it's construction. Or any references to published articles in magazines would help.

Shaun

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, thanks for that but Tim uses a cassette storage system on his layout (as I was operating that layout the other week) and although good it won't be suitable for the length of trains I will be running which are about 10 feet long.

Shaun

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
By sector plate you are refering to a device pivoted at one end, away from the incoming tracks? Just want to confirm what you are looking for.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 13 Mar 2008, 07:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This site may show what you are looking for.

http://www.altezeitgruppe.com/new_layout.htm

Down the bottom is a picture of one.

Cheers

John

Hi,

Thanks for the link. Does anyone have a source for aluminium angle bar as shown towards the bottom of the page? I'm interested in using some at the end of my fiddle yard as I've been told its alot easier to work with than my original plan which was to build cassetts with track laid on the bottom.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 13 Mar 2008, 11:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Thanks for the link. Does anyone have a source for aluminium angle bar as shown towards the bottom of the page? I'm interested in using some at the end of my fiddle yard as I've been told its alot easier to work with than my original plan which was to build cassetts with track laid on the bottom.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi yes I am looking for a pivoted type. The angles aluminium used on Tims layout was bought from B&Q. One thing to note is we encountered a couple of problems, one was when using DCC you got one heck of a belt from the live metal so it needed to be insulated, and placing stock like DR Dosto's on them is awkward as you can't get your fingers down the sides to place the bogies on the track.

Shaun

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Thanks Peter and Shaun,

A quick search on B&Q's website shows that they do indeed still stock it, if anyone else is intersted just search for "Aluminium". Its pretty cheap too.

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know where I can get hold of Nylon strips which I can use as a low friction support under the sector plate?

Shaun

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

If you have plenty of money and a lack of time, try a ready-made cassette system, like those sold by B and R Model Railways. Of course, this is not the same as a sector plate, so it's not quite how this thread started. The cassettes only go up to 48 inches, which is not 10 feet, but they say they can make them to any size in any scale.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi the cassette system is going to be way too expensive, each train would need a cassette that would cost around £100 and that multiplied by the number of trains my wife would want 2 weeks in the Carribean for that amount of money.

Shaun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts