Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from this

To this

Have started on the kit bashed model of Wolverton station circa 1950s and am using old hornby station models as a base. I am in the process of modifying the central Dormer. I started by using a razor saw but ended up using Xuron cutters.
If any one has any tips please conribute to this thread, Id appreciate them as this is my first ever attempt at kit bashing!
Steve

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The station in the picture appears to be a weatherboard. If it is the best way to do this is to get thin strips of wood, the sort used for building model ships, from a hobby shop about .1mm thick by 2mm and use these to create the weatherboard effect.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that tip
I have already bought the weatherboard effect plastic card to use. At the time didnt know about the thin wood strips mentioned. I'll bear that in mind for MK2 as I bet I wont be ahppy with MK1!
Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It looks to me like a good amount of alterations are needed to get the end result,wouldnt it be easier to make one from scratch?
Dont quote me on it, I've only been modeling for less than a year so im still new to this

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ALterations to the basic kits are done. Now to clad in weatherboard remembering to make the holes for the windows and doors
Here is a rough mock up

Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I was veiwing it from how I would alter it and had doubts but you've made it look so easy,thats looking good

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried using a razor saw but found it hard going so now using side cutters and a craft knife. I drew a line where I wanted to cut, scored along this line 3 or 4 times then used the side cutters to finish cutting through.
Approach was pretty much suck it and see.
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.