Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking for moulds similar to linka in N gauge stone types for houses ..... does anyone know of a supplier please.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Best Regards.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 21 Aug 2008, 18:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

I am looking for moulds similar to linka in N gauge stone types for houses ..... does anyone know of a supplier please.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Best Regards.

Hi

The best supplier is you... almost everything I've ever seen in premade casting options is not particularly well scaled (including Linka) and less than ideal.

The pinned article on casting in this forum (building with castings) contains a really good how to do it. All materials are available from Tiranti - Make your masters from card and DAS carved to the stone result you want or premade stone plasticard and cast them yourself - from your modelling already displayed, you DO have the skills to do it!

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 21 Aug 2008, 13:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

The best supplier is you... almost everything I've ever seen in premade casting options is not particularly well scaled (including Linka) and less than ideal.

The pinned article on casting in this forum (building with castings) contains a really good how to do it. All materials are available from Tiranti - Make your masters from card and DAS carved to the stone result you want or premade stone plasticard and cast them yourself - from your modelling already displayed, you DO have the skills to do it!

Richard

Hi Richard,

I have been thinking about the buildings and Tiranti materials for a mould crossed my mind ..... thank you for your faith in me i will look at the (building with castings) pinned article and have a go.

·
Registered
303 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 21 Aug 2008, 20:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,

I have been thinking about the buildings and Tiranti materials for a mould crossed my mind ..... thank you for your faith in me i will look at the (building with castings) pinned article and have a go.

Richard,

Please feel free to ask me any questions that I have not answered in the pinned article.

Colombo

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Colombo @ 22 Aug 2008, 16:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard,

Please feel free to ask me any questions that I have not answered in the pinned article.

Colombo

**Hi Colombo, thanks for the offer but its Nick that will be needing the help on this one......

I'm currently enjoying using DAS and card for many stone buildings but will again venture into casting as I've all of Settle township to make and doing all the buildings 100% individually will need more time than my life has to go...

(the layout boards for Settle on my layout are to the original land plans of the Midland & are nearly 10 metres long)

BTW, I do enjoy the quality you can get with the casting processes - I have a full set of moulds for the Inverness roundhouse which I made some time ago and they really did cast beautifully and fine...

As a visible if slightly extreme example, the full sized 4mm scale model of Ribblehead viaduct I cast is in a gallery somewhere here on MRF. It was made with the same basic processes as you used but, due to the stresses of such a large structure, I did the final casting in polyester resin rather than plaster - the same stuff loco kit makers use....

It wore out 3 sets of mould masters due to the high cure heat and with nearly a full litre of resin for every one of Ribbleheads arches and another full litre for every one of the piers it was horrendously expensive... but the result is a bulletproof 18 foot long viaduct that has happily endured several moves with nary a sign of stress and will soon rejoin my layout once more!

Good job I got the Resin wholesale!!

I enjoyed reading your casting presentation very much by the way - it was really well put together, and whether I've done it before or not, its always possible to gain and learn from the work of others, so thank you. I'd love to see more of your work.

Richard

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE is in a gallery somewhere here on MRF

Here's a close up of some of the arches:

For more photos of Richard's models, here's a direct link to his Forum Gallery - link

David

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Colombo @ 22 Aug 2008, 08:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard,

Colombo

Hi Colombo,

Many thanks for your offer of help no doubt i will need it, i am looking to model typical housing of a Yorkshire industrial town hopefully, to the area where the boards join to form a backdrop to that area ........... the railway leading away from the edge of the town, something like this i hope.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts