Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of scratchbuilding my own controller rather than buying on as it needs to be a corner sort of shape to fit in my briefcase. It would need to be powered with 9 volts, and hopefully have a way of changing it from mains to battery power (I have the mains adapter and a 9v battery adapter). It would also need a couple of switches for an uncoupling ramp and a point.

I hope someone out there has an idea or I may be being a little too specific?

Thanks,

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi dr5euss,
I don't think you're very likely to move much very on 9 volts dc!

Unless I'm reading your text wrong are you considering running this on rechargeable cells? If so, consider series connecting two 9 volt cells to give 18 volts. By the time the controller has taken its small portion of the volts available for internal use you should end up with around 14 to 16 v available.
Current available will be a big issue too. Locos will draw between 0.5 and 0.9 amp each. Move a set of points or operate the uncoupler (Assuming the point and uncoupler are solenoid type e.g. Ponts are Peco/Hornby type) and your rechargeable cell/s will very quickly discharge.

I have never seen any controller working from a rechargeable cell and at 9 volts? Though this doesn't mean there isn't any!

I have a very simple controller circuit using two power transistors etc which worked extremely well on my former layouts fiddle yard control panel. It's designed to work on 14 to 18 volt ac or dc input as is the norm for controllers. Look on my web site (Electrical Page at the bottom) where I have upload the circuit. The controller circuit is built onto a piece of stripboard and the control knob and its variable resistor (pot) can be located remotely, though don't allow the leads between the pot and the board to become to long!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There are several circuits for controllers in 'Model Railway Electronics' by Roger Amos, published by Patrick Stephens Ltd, part of the Haynes Publishing Group. I do not know if this is currently in print or not. I have seen copies in local libraries as well.
'Wiring the Layout' by Jeff Geary, also has a circuit for a controller. Published by KRB Publications and available from Cove Models on 01252 544532.

I hope these may be of help.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi
I have, as stated above, added a section on controllers now to my web sites 'electrical' page.

What John says is correct, however unless you're extremely good at making electronic circuits Roger Amos's book isn't for the beginner!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies guys

Brian: It is a Z gauge layout and the max the locos can handle is 10v so 9v is ideal.

QUOTE Move a set of points or operate the uncoupler (Assuming the point and uncoupler are solenoid type e.g. Ponts are Peco/Hornby type) and your rechargeable cell/s will very quickly discharge.

I was going to put a uncoupler in and point but now I guess I'll just have a figure of eight type arrangement.

John: I shall have a hunt around eBay and my library

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE Noch is sounding better all the time.
I'll look around myself this weekend.

This is only Mark I Dennis, just so I can get the hang of it - the real 'bobby dazzler' is yet to come

1 - 7 of 7 Posts