Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
OO Gauge Bulleid Leader

For those who may be interested Loconotion Models of Peacehaven in East Sussex are commissioning a brand new R-T-R locomotive from a well known manufacturer, a previously unreleased model - The Bulleid Leader. Watch modelling press and this forum for further details as we will be posting them as and when they are available. We will be taking advanced orders very soon if interested please Instant Message me with your contact details.

Nikki

·
Registered
31 Posts
Golden Arrow Productions (of Hastings) produced a R-T-R Leader a few years ago. I assume it was in limited numbers because I had a class 71 from them which was limited to 200.

·
In depth idiot
7,662 Posts
Strikes me as an awfully brave choice of prototype. For sure, very interesting; but the contemporary 4DD, early SR diesels and the Bulleid Raworth unit are of similar rarity, unavailable in RTR form, and all had significantly longer active lives with regular service in traffic. I wish you well with it, but cannot help but feel there are better commercial prospects out there.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 10 Oct 2008, 11:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Strikes me as an awfully brave choice of prototype. For sure, very interesting; but the contemporary 4DD, early SR diesels and the Bulleid Raworth unit are of similar rarity, unavailable in RTR form, and all had significantly longer active lives with regular service in traffic. I wish you well with it, but cannot help but feel there are better commercial prospects out there.

Maybe, but I personally would not be the slightest bit interested in any of the locomotives you suggest, but perhaps there are enough like minded people to make the project viable.

Then again, I have a Trix BR53 2-6-8-0 with condensing tender - a locomotive that was never completed except in model form.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The topic ties in nicely with the post from KDRuthless yesterday about trying to get enough interest together for a Midland Pullman; may not like the model but really pleased someone is trying to do something about it.
mal

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We decide to do the Leader after a few years of people saying they wished there was one and the amount of interest so far has been quite staggering !! We are quite aware that it is only really southern modellers who would be interested but ive ha quite a few emails from the midlands and a couple from europe already !! Maybe its the "something different" aspect!

I must admit the 4DD is a very good idea - there used to be a kit for it from a company in kent - but apparantly they no longer make it. Pity really cause i want one!

I also would love to see a R-T-R U1 Garratt but thats gonna be very expensive due to its sheer size!!

Nikki

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE it is only really southern modellers who would be interested

Producing Southern models doesn't appear to be "hurting" Hornby; producing something for people to run along side all that Hornby stuff seems like a good move to me.

Now if you were to do an ex-LMS small freight loco, I'm sure Richard would have a few and I'd have a couple

David

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The NRM/ Deltic phenomenon has proved the existance of a collector's market, with folk willing to pay quite a premium for quality models.

I see no reason why a Leader should not show a similar response, albeit on a smaller scale?

after all, the prototype is less well known in general circles. [less high profile too]

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Add me to the list of interested people!

I have little to no interest in the southern region, but the engineer in me loves the experimental locos and leader is right up there with the best of them. Depending on price, spec and so on, I'll prob buy one too.

Rob

·
In depth idiot
7,662 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 10 Oct 2008, 20:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..I also would love to see a R-T-R U1 Garratt but thats gonna be very expensive due to its sheer size!..
First you do an O2, and recover the investment made there by selling each O2 with a Garratt ticket; anyone holding two Garratt tickets gets first refusal on the limited edition U1. That way you have the chassis mechanisms at production cost to carry the the three body mouldings that make up the Garratt.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to let everybody know - we will be doing 4 liveries. These will be

Works grey ( what the original was painted in )
works grey weathered ( the one that was used on the line in tests)
lined black ( was completed - never left the shed )
BR Green ( as it would have been had it ever entered service)

The price will be between 110 - 120 pounds and there will only be 2000

It will be very high spec and DCC ready ( can be dcc fitted for an extra 25 pound )

we will release the full details very soon !!!

Nikki

·
In depth idiot
7,662 Posts
Just a thought; did Mr Bulleid's Turf Burner prototype for the CIE present the same external appearance (it had the same 280psi 0-6-6-0 three cylinders per bogie configuration) because if so there may be another livery possibility, not that I have ever seen a picture of this machine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 13 Oct 2008, 22:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a thought; did Mr Bulleid's Turf Burner prototype for the CIE present the same external appearance (it had the same 280psi 0-6-6-0 three cylinders per bogie configuration) because if so there may be another livery possibility, not that I have ever seen a picture of this machine.

No - the turf burner was a completly different looking thing. I have pictures in a book on Bulleid at home, but I'm not sure which one...
The only picture I can find on the web at the moment is on the cover of Bulleid and the Turf Burner by Ernest Shepherd.

Mike D

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 13 Oct 2008, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Works grey ( what the original was painted in )
works grey weathered ( the one that was used on the line in tests)
lined black ( was completed - never left the shed )
BR Green ( as it would have been had it ever entered service)

Decisions, desisions - I think I'm "leaning" towards the works grey weathered.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Consider me sold on the idea - it'll complete my set of Bulleids!

I go with Brian - weathered works grey (but must have knackered fireman hanging out of the side!)

Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (MikeD @ 14 Oct 2008, 09:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No - the turf burner was a completly different looking thing. I have pictures in a book on Bulleid at home, but I'm not sure which one...
The only picture I can find on the web at the moment is on the cover of Bulleid and the Turf Burner by Ernest Shepherd.

Mike D

Bulleid Locomotives by Rex Kennedy (Ian Allan publications) has a colour photo of the Leader on page 28 and facing it on page 29 a colour photo of the 'Turf Burner'.

Dave

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (DRK @ 17 Oct 2008, 22:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bulleid Locomotives by Rex Kennedy (Ian Allan publications) has a colour photo of the Leader on page 28 and facing it on page 29 a colour photo of the 'Turf Burner'.

Dave

More photos on this site Southern E group

Dave

1 - 20 of 38 Posts