Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is now a nice range of unrebuilt light pacific's. but toward the end of steam a large number had cut down tenders. it' would be so easy for hornby to produce a model with one. after all they have rebuilts with these tenders. so come on hornby, how about it.
does any one know if they're thinking of it.
bob

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have come across one problem. I have Tangmere (unrebuilt with original tender) and Sir Kieth Park (Rebuilt with cut down tender). I tried swaping them and they didn't work, possibly because they are wired differently, although I haven't as yet investigated. Any ideas.

This of course would not stop Hornby producing an unrebuilt loco with a cut down tender as they would sort it!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hi there - I have two Hornby King Arthurs - one with 6-wheel tender and one with 8-wheel tender. If I swap the tenders over I get a short circuit which implies they are wired differently - could be same problem with the Bulleid tenders.

The problem with the unrebuilt light pacifics is that when the tender was cut down, it no longer matched the loco so is not aesthetcially quite so pleasing. Also the first 70 locos were built with 8ft 6in cabs and tenders so that they could work to Hastings but in fact never did. The last 50 had 9ft cabs and tenders. When locos were rebuilt they got the 9ft cabs and wherever possible were given 9ft tenders too, so many of the later batch of unrebuilt locos ended up with narrow tenders, which looked even worse.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In response to the OP's post, Hornby have done the cut down tender with unrebuilt locomotives with the later crest (and modified lining) - I have one of them right in front of me! 34041 Wilton was one such locomotive.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (John H-T @ 12 Jan 2009, 20:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.. I tried swapping them and they didn't work, possibly because they are wired differently, although I haven't as yet investigated. Any ideas.
Hornby are normally consistent in their loco-tender wiring. The 'post' at the tender front is wired to the RHS wheels, the plate around the post to the LHS wheels; with corresponding wiring in the loco. After a good number of tender exchanges over the years, I don't recall ever finding a mismatch.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I will just add my thoughts. I have Tangmere and when purchased this was fitted with the original tender. As i wanted the model in it's 1959 condition I arranged a swap with another forum member. So far I have had no wiring problems.

Regards

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Looks like it's the 8-wheel King Arthur tender that's the problem with me. If I hook it behind my Merchant Navy or Battle of Britain I get a DCC short circuit immediately. Same with a Q1 although that won't sit properly on the tracks. The 6-wheel tender is no problem and these locos run with it OK. I'm going to email the Hornby Customer Care and ask them if there's a problem and I'll update this post with the reply.

·
Registered
46 Posts
unrebuilts that hornby have done with cut down tenders include WILTON WEYMOUTH COMBE MARTIN(in pines express train pack) winston churchill and manston (i think)

u can still find combe martin in the train pack new in a few model shops, and wilton weymouth do come up on ebay often

i have all those 3, tried swapping tenders with high sided from watersmeet and no problems (DC)

the cut down tenders that hornby do on the rebuilds are different too, so well done hornby for supplying most of the tender types,
rebuilt merchant navys too had several types of cut down tender...very confusing lol
bibby line is different from blue star and french lines which i have...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts