Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get a cheap flight to the UK at the end of November so I can attend the Warley show at the NEC in Birmingham and I was wondering if it is any advantage to save my pennies to spend at the show because of discounts, or are they the same price as at the dealers. I am thinking in particular of Bachmann and Hornby locomotives.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Wait until you go to Warley. You will spend lots of money when you see what bargains are to be had.

Go on Saturday if you want to spend money. By Saturday night the real bargains have gone.

Examples from last year:-

Coronation "City of Edinburgh" £50
Teak Gresley coaches £22.50
Bournemouth Belle train pack £125 (not a bargain but better than the £175 they were fetching on Ebay). The dealer who had 5 of these sold out in the first hour. I went back to get one at midday and they had all gone!

Always bargains on the Bachmann stand and always crowds 4 deep and lots of pushing and shoving.
Class 50 diesels (a new release at that time) for £62.50.

I have a feeling that there will be Q1's for sale for £50 this year as an example. I have seen a dealer who will be there shifting these at another show for this sort of money. I suspect the Class 60's will be there and selling for say £65?

And I expect Bachmann Class 20's to be on offer for £35 or less.

And expect bargain "Flying Scotsman" loco's.

18000 people turned up last year and with a decent sized stall costing £1000 for the two days and manned by 5 or 6 staff dealers have to get a return for the investment.

I'll be there on the Saturday. There are plenty of cashpoints outside the entrance.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The stewards plonk a stamp on your hand when you go out of the exhibition hall into the foyer lobby circulation areas and this stamp gets you back in when you show the steward. The cashpoints are in these areas and could be 30 seconds or 3 minutes from the hall entrance depending on which hall the show is in.

Warning - it does get very busy and there are lots of people with rucksacks within which they put their show goodies, food, flasks, etc. Food and drink at the show is expensive, of low quality, and even so the queues are horrendous.

If you have never been before you are in for a shock! Trust me!

There will hardly be room to breath by lunchtime around the exhibition areas.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
27 Posts
CeeDee you must come!

It is a bit of a ruck but the rucksack advice is bang on! Bring your own food every time.
As for spending money well I think that you do need to go with a clear mind of what you want to buy as the choice is overwhelming! In the past I have come away with all or nothing to speak of!

The stalls being 4 deep is accurate too and can get very wearing and well-annoying! I always remember the first year that the Hornby Live Steam was there - that was a scrum!

You forgot to mention the carrier bag collectors, Gary!

And to add to the list - 08 Gronk in BR Blue (not exciting I know but I love 'em!) £30 brand new - gotta be a bargain!

Best Wishes
Jules

1 - 7 of 7 Posts