Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with C&L's code 82 flat bottom rail, and built with it at all?

I've looked through countless posts and people just seem to talk about code 100 and 75 and HO sleeper patterns etc, however thier code 82 rail is closer to mainline scale so to speak, and is flat bottom not bull head which means that its more than exceptable to model modern era ( gosh I hate that term, anyway) with surely.

I'm quite happy to spend hours weeks months etc on building the track by hand and have had experince of building completely scratch points before using old code 100 rail.
The C&L website explains that you need to use their baseplates with this rail can anyone explain this to me at all, or are they just the alternative to chairs as modern rail doesnt use chairs anymore?

Also I read some where that C&L do concrete style sleepers?

Kind regards
David

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (dave_long @ 30 Apr 2007, 09:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,
I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with C&L's code 82 flat bottom rail, and built with it at all?

I've looked through countless posts and people just seem to talk about code 100 and 75 and HO sleeper patterns etc, however thier code 82 rail is closer to mainline scale so to speak, and is flat bottom not bull head which means that its more than exceptable to model modern era ( gosh I hate that term, anyway) with surely.

I'm quite happy to spend hours weeks months etc on building the track by hand and have had experince of building completely scratch points before using old code 100 rail.
The C&L website explains that you need to use their baseplates with this rail can anyone explain this to me at all, or are they just the alternative to chairs as modern rail doesnt use chairs anymore?

Also I read some where that C&L do concrete style sleepers?

Kind regards
David
David, Exactoscale used to make concrete sleepers in 00, EM and P4 but I do believe they have limited their range to P4 now so have stopped producing them in 00 but you still might be able to find them around. Alternatively contact Intercity Models, I have bought some EM concrete sleepers of their own production and they look very similar to the Exactoscale ones, they may produce them in 00.
I have to agree, the C&L website isn't the clearest when it comes to explaining the products, especially for people new to track building.

A

·
Registered
303 Posts
David,

Have you considered using soldered construction with copperclad sleepers in conjunction with flat bottom code 83 rail for building points representing timber sleepering. The baseplates are not very significant at all if you are looking for overall effect rather than super detailed track, and so you would probably not notice that they were missing.

As far as strength and durability is concerned you can't beat soldered track with copperclad sleepering. It is easier to adjust the clearances as well, just a little push with a hot iron is all you need.

Colombo

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (Colombo @ 9 May 2007, 16:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David,

Have you considered using soldered construction with copperclad sleepers in conjunction with flat bottom code 83 rail for building points representing timber sleepering. The baseplates are not very significant at all if you are looking for overall effect rather than super detailed track, and so you would probably not notice that they were missing.

As far as strength and durability is concerned you can't beat soldered track with copperclad sleepering. It is easier to adjust the clearances as well, just a little push with a hot iron is all you need.

Colombo

I've contacted C&L about creating turnouts using FB rail and they say they do not provide any accesssories to do this so it looks like turnouts will have to be constructed by soldering rail to PCB or riveted sleepers. You could possibly then add some cosmetic chairs (anybody know which chairs could be used?).
The alternative would be to construct turnouts with BH code 75 rail as normal and use code 82 FB rail for plain track (If I am correct this was actually the case in real life, many points were BH rail used in conjunction with FB rail on plain track). Not being one to normally complain, but I must say that I didn't find the replies from C&L all that helpful. Maybe if enough of us bombard them with the same question they may come up with an FAQ on their website people can reference.

A

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Peco do pandrol clips as part of their individulay range and C&L do the concrete sleepers.
Both of which would be fine for flat bottom 83.

i would love someone to do a how to on track building. its really not as daunting as it seems and as long as you take your time even a beginner should be able to produce some respectable trackwork.

I did mine back in the days of copper clad. they were for the garden layout and worked happily for about 10 years. (thats 9 years longer than the Peco ones did!)

Peter

·
Registered
303 Posts
QUOTE (adj @ 30 May 2007, 09:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've contacted C&L about creating turnouts using FB rail and they say they do not provide any accesssories to do this so it looks like turnouts will have to be constructed by soldering rail to PCB or riveted sleepers. You could possibly then add some cosmetic chairs (anybody know which chairs could be used?).
Adj,

From bitter personal experience I would advise anybody not to try plywood and rivet track construction methods unless you are very dedicated and building quite a small model. It is difficult to adjust clearances, the cosmetic chairs are difficult to fit against the rivets properly and if you don't get them tucked in closely enough, even RP25 wheel flanges can catch the top of the cosmetic chairs leading to rough running. Then there is the problem of forever replacing the chairs that get knocked off.

If you must have chaired track on your handbuilt points, I recomend C&L point kits. I have built several for locations where chaired pointwork would be expected near the viewing side of the baseboard, that is for sidings and the loco depot. For the rest I have used code 75 flexi track and copperclad points. I suggest that it is best to become proficient in drawing up and building copperclad points first before moving on to C&L points.

For pointwork design, I have a full range of C&L and old Scaleway drawings that I adapt as required.

Colombo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Colombo @ 30 May 2007, 10:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Adj,

From bitter personal experience I would advise anybody not to try plywood and rivet track construction methods unless you are very dedicated and building quite a small model. It is difficult to adjust clearances, the cosmetic chairs are difficult to fit against the rivets properly and if you don't get them tucked in closely enough, even RP25 wheel flanges can catch the top of the cosmetic chairs leading to rough running. Then there is the problem of forever replacing the chairs that get knocked off.

If you must have chaired track on your handbuilt points, I recomend C&L point kits. I have built several for locations where chaired pointwork would be expected near the viewing side of the baseboard, that is for sidings and the loco depot. For the rest I have used code 75 flexi track and copperclad points. I suggest that it is best to become proficient in drawing up and building copperclad points first before moving on to C&L points.

For pointwork design, I have a full range of C&L and old Scaleway drawings that I adapt as required.

Colombo

Hi
I certainly have no plans for building ply and rivet points. I have built points before with copper clad sleepers, but mainly for dual gauged 00/ng projects, I have no concerns with building the points as such, what I am looking for is decent point templates. As FB rail points are different lengths of switch blades and therefore the sleepering patterns are different. I know about templot while I think its a fine piece of software really there are only 3 points that are visible on my layout that need to be hand built so the expense of the software isn't really warranted for me. I'm not sure about just using C&L BH templates as to my location/prototype layout thats not realistic. ( layout based on Blaenau festioniog)

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Dave, I have built track & points both in Code 75 & 100 with PCB but changing to Code 82 to give room for flanges & getting better sleeper spacing for 00 scale & rebuilding the layout from scratch
(20x12ft). Obtained the Iain Rice book on
Building, wiring & laying PCB track ;
have been busy cutting slepers & obtained 2 days ago 200meters Code 82 in nickel silver flat bottom.
It does take time but that to me is part of the hobby - hurry & surely it will get stuffed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (dave_long @ 30 May 2007, 12:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I certainly have no plans for building ply and rivet points. I have built points before with copper clad sleepers, but mainly for dual gauged 00/ng projects, I have no concerns with building the points as such, what I am looking for is decent point templates. As FB rail points are different lengths of switch blades and therefore the sleepering patterns are different. I know about templot while I think its a fine piece of software really there are only 3 points that are visible on my layout that need to be hand built so the expense of the software isn't really warranted for me. I'm not sure about just using C&L BH templates as to my location/prototype layout thats not realistic. ( layout based on Blaenau festioniog)

Thanks

Dave

I haven't started designing a layout yet but intend to soon if all goes to plan. I will probably purchase a Templot license and also design my own track/point work. I plan on using code 82 FB rail for the plain track on mainline (exactoscale concrete sleepers or those available from intercity models) and BH rail in the yard. I still haven't decided on the point work. If I want to use FB rail then I'll have to use copperclad sleepers and solder. I had built all my old track in this way when I was a teenager before finding other interests to persue. Alternatively i'll use code 75 BH rail for the points, also prototypically correct but probably a pain to get aligned correctly.
Peter, there are publications out there on how to make track but very little information regarding points with FB rail. Does anybody know if Templot takes the rail type into account when designing the turnouts?

Adj

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Anybody designing points should have a look at Bob Essery's 'Railway Signalling and Track Plans' (Ian Allan 2007).
This has some very useful information on prototype practice, including sleeper layout on points. This latter shows Hornby/Peco/Bachmann ready-made points are not very prototypically correct regarding the sleepers!
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 30 May 2007, 14:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anybody designing points should have a look at Bob Essery's 'Railway Signalling and Track Plans' (Ian Allan 2007).
This has some very useful information on prototype practice, including sleeper layout on points. This latter shows Hornby/Peco/Bachmann ready-made points are not very prototypically correct regarding the sleepers!
Regards,
John WebbFunny you should mention, I received it through the post yesterday!

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (dave_long @ 30 May 2007, 12:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

Thanks

Dave

Dave, on my search for books I did find this:

Title: Track Construction, an easy to use guide for all scales and gauges complete with a CD ROM to produce templates and layout Plan
ISBN Number: 0954203593

It may be of help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts