Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with C&L's code 82 flat bottom rail, and built with it at all?

I've looked through countless posts and people just seem to talk about code 100 and 75 and HO sleeper patterns etc, however thier code 82 rail is closer to mainline scale so to speak, and is flat bottom not bull head which means that its more than exceptable to model modern era ( gosh I hate that term, anyway) with surely.

I'm quite happy to spend hours weeks months etc on building the track by hand and have had experince of building completely scratch points before using old code 100 rail.
The C&L website explains that you need to use their baseplates with this rail can anyone explain this to me at all, or are they just the alternative to chairs as modern rail doesnt use chairs anymore?

Also I read some where that C&L do concrete style sleepers?

Kind regards
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Colombo @ 30 May 2007, 10:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Adj,

From bitter personal experience I would advise anybody not to try plywood and rivet track construction methods unless you are very dedicated and building quite a small model. It is difficult to adjust clearances, the cosmetic chairs are difficult to fit against the rivets properly and if you don't get them tucked in closely enough, even RP25 wheel flanges can catch the top of the cosmetic chairs leading to rough running. Then there is the problem of forever replacing the chairs that get knocked off.

If you must have chaired track on your handbuilt points, I recomend C&L point kits. I have built several for locations where chaired pointwork would be expected near the viewing side of the baseboard, that is for sidings and the loco depot. For the rest I have used code 75 flexi track and copperclad points. I suggest that it is best to become proficient in drawing up and building copperclad points first before moving on to C&L points.

For pointwork design, I have a full range of C&L and old Scaleway drawings that I adapt as required.

Colombo

Hi
I certainly have no plans for building ply and rivet points. I have built points before with copper clad sleepers, but mainly for dual gauged 00/ng projects, I have no concerns with building the points as such, what I am looking for is decent point templates. As FB rail points are different lengths of switch blades and therefore the sleepering patterns are different. I know about templot while I think its a fine piece of software really there are only 3 points that are visible on my layout that need to be hand built so the expense of the software isn't really warranted for me. I'm not sure about just using C&L BH templates as to my location/prototype layout thats not realistic. ( layout based on Blaenau festioniog)

Thanks

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts