Model Railway Forum banner

Caley Pug (Smokey Joe)

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jinty2 
#1 ·
Hi, I've just joined the forum.

Wonder if someone can provide a tip please?
I plan to turn the Hornby Pug into a private owner industrial loco. Does anyone have experience of an alternate motor fixing/mounting so I can get rid of the spring clip that shows on the sides just under the saddle tank? Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

#2 ·
I think I read somewhere that when the railroad series come/came out the Caley pug has a new motor - it might be worth checking.

Regards

John.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Railway Modeller for March 2007 has an article on using the Caley Pug as the basis for other variations of other locos. One of these retains the 0-4-0 arrangement and improves on the connecting rod and associated items. The writer, however, made the model (in this case based on the Airfix/Dapol kit) unpowered. It is moved by means of a permanently connected coal wagon containing a disguised motor bogie.

Regards,
John Webb

#4 ·
QUOTE (Jinty2 @ 23 Apr 2007, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I've just joined the forum.

Wonder if someone can provide a tip please?
I plan to turn the Hornby Pug into a private owner industrial loco. Does anyone have experience of an alternate motor fixing/mounting so I can get rid of the spring clip that shows on the sides just under the saddle tank? Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
Hi
I used one of the Hornby smoky joe locos for the basis of a 7mmm narrow gauge project a few years ago, you can cut the spring back close upto the body when done it does not show from normal viewing distance.
Mike

#5 ·
It's a very heavy duty solution, but Branchlines of Exeter sell a chassis pack for the Pug giving you an etched nickel silver replacement chassis. This has the added benefit that the loco won't take off like a startled hare

If kit built chassis are rather more than you feel up to - and I'm only just making some first attempts myself - then I appreciate it's not really an answer to your problem

#6 ·
QUOTE (mik @ 23 Apr 2007, 17:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I used one of the Hornby smoky joe locos for the basis of a 7mmm narrow gauge project a few years ago, you can cut the spring back close upto the body when done it does not show from normal viewing distance.
Mike

I guess that is probably the answer. I was concerned that it would not hold the motor in place properly if I cut it down but on looking again i think it should be OK. Thanks.

#7 ·
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 23 Apr 2007, 17:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a very heavy duty solution, but Branchlines of Exeter sell a chassis pack for the Pug giving you an etched nickel silver replacement chassis. This has the added benefit that the loco won't take off like a startled hare

If kit built chassis are rather more than you feel up to - and I'm only just making some first attempts myself - then I appreciate it's not really an answer to your problem

A good suggestion for the future and I would accept your comments on the way it runs. At this time however I just want a quick project to relearn and practice long forgotten skills of modelling. I am just beginning to model again after many years of having too many other (but not necessarily more important!) things to do. Trying to begin the easy way with a small shunting layout before following the bigger plan. Thanks.

#8 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 23 Apr 2007, 15:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Railway Modeller for March 2007 has an article on using the Caley Pug as the basis for other variations of other locos. One of these retains the 0-4-0 arrangement and improves on the connecting rod and associated items. The writer, however, made the model (in this case based on the Airfix/Dapol kit) unpowered. It is moved by means of a permanently connected coal wagon containing a disguised motor bogie.

Regards,
John Webb

Thats a good idea. The March RM is probably the only one I didn't buy this year but will keep my eyes open. I had anyway considered the attachment of a permanent "tender". Thanks

#9 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 23 Apr 2007, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I read somewhere that when the railroad series come/came out the Caley pug has a new motor - it might be worth checking.

Regards

John.
Thanks but I already have the model. Purchased cheap at a Fair it is to be used a "practice" to help regain lost skills (if they ever were that!) so if I mess it up then not too much is lost.

#10 ·
Jinty2:

The running problems - flat out or stall and seemingly nothing in between - seem to be common to all the cheap Hornby 0-4-0 locos. I've found the little Gaugemaster Combi gives a bit better controlability than a normal Gaugemaster with these mechanisms - not sure why but it does.

On an earlier layout I tried to use a Hornby 06 as a shunter and it was a bit of a painful experience

Recently developed locos from Hornby and Bachmann (eg their 08 diesel shunters and arguably the Bachmann Jinty) have vastly better mechanisms . You might also want to look at the small Knightwing diesel shunter kit (not the bigger Sentinel). Its a very simple plastic kit and with some carving underneath you can get a Black Beetle motor bogie inside with plenty of lead in the bonnet.

Black Beetles are available from Branchlines in various wheelbases for £40 and they really do run very nicely

#11 ·
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 23 Apr 2007, 20:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Jinty2:

The running problems - flat out or stall and seemingly nothing in between - seem to be common to all the cheap Hornby 0-4-0 locos. I've found the little Gaugemaster Combi gives a bit better controlability than a normal Gaugemaster with these mechanisms - not sure why but it does.

On an earlier layout I tried to use a Hornby 06 as a shunter and it was a bit of a painful experience

Recently developed locos from Hornby and Bachmann (eg their 08 diesel shunters and arguably the Bachmann Jinty) have vastly better mechanisms . You might also want to look at the small Knightwing diesel shunter kit (not the bigger Sentinel). Its a very simple plastic kit and with some carving underneath you can get a Black Beetle motor bogie inside with plenty of lead in the bonnet.

Black Beetles are available from Branchlines in various wheelbases for £40 and they really do run very nicely
Ravenser

Ouch! I recently also bought a second hand 06 for the same project! Looks like I will have some running problems. At this time I have not started baseboard construction so have no track laid to test running at this moment. I have "The Saddle" rolling road parts to test run but accept this is not typical of normal running. I guess I will have to look carefully at new chassis for both. I have the Bachmann 08 tucked away (amongst many other modern bigger locos) and have run that on track with a Gaugemaster Combi and that runs beautifully as you say. I have kept up with the magazines but have no practical experience of running these locos yet. Must change that shortly. Thanks for your comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.