Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with some color photographs of the Lord Nelson class. I dont want photos of 850 Lord Nelson in its preserved green livery more the working locos of the late 50's early 60's. Its research for a forthcoming model i am having comissioned & would like to find a decent photo to use for my prototype.

Thanks.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi

I think I've got some colour shots - but it will take a while to trace them. If I have any luck I'll let you know.

Regards

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you it would be a great help. Im intrested in which locos had late crest in brunswick green because they were all scrapped by 62 i cant see them all holding late crest & my model i want in late crest.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Alberta - as far as I am aware all the Nelsons carried the late crest on withdrawal - so no worries there. Your biggest problem could be deciding which one you want.

Regards

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i have been looking in a book called Steam works & i have found a picture of 30856 Lord St Vincent & it looks stunning in ex works fully lined late crest. the lining on the loco really makes the model stand out & the more i think of it the more i look forward to reciving the loco back in the coming months.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi again Alberta

I have found a couple of possibles - can't remember which off hand, but if you PM me I'll send copies on to you.

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 Jan 2009, 17:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alberta - as far as I am aware all the Nelsons carried the late crest on withdrawal - so no worries there. Your biggest problem could be deciding which one you want.

Regards
According to Peter Swift in Maunsell 4-6-0 Lord Nelson class
"From March 1957, twelve Lord Nelson tenders received the large second BR totem. This was applied with the heraldically incorrect right-facing lion on the right-side of the tenders until November 1958, then with left facing lions on both sides subsequently. At the time of leaving works, the four tenders which did not receive the the second totem were coupled to 30858, 30861,30864 and 30865. A tender exchange between no 30853 and 30861 in August 1959 saw 30853 revert to the first totem until withdrawl whilst 30861 carried a right facing second totem on the right side of the tender until December 1959. The locomotive then received a General Overhaul and left facing totems were placed on both sides of the tender.
At the time of withdrawl NOS 30853, 30858, 30864 and 30865 had the first version totem on the tender."

Alberta I hope this helps you make a prototypical choice.
The same book has colour photographs of 30852(p23),30850(p30),30851(p34),30854(p43)(p47),30855(p50),30856(p51)
30857(p54 + 55),30859(p67),30861(p79) all with the later crest.

Regards
John Clements

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear alberta,

John Clements has given you a very good answer to your question.

If you are still looking for a photo of a specific LN in a specific year, to complete your model, please contact me directly. I can post your question on the the Yahoo! Group SEmG (1,100 members), which owns the website http://www.semgonline.com/ and see if they can come up with the photo you need.

Or you can just join the group and ask yourself. Just click on the "Join" button on the website.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help gents i am actually going with the Lord St Vincent in late crest as it is in my book its exactly as i wanted it to be & it looks the business.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts