Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, just signed up to this forum.

Can anyone please tell me how i can remove the road markings from a hornby double level crossing. I have the older looking gates on and the markings dont fit with my 1940's layout.

thanks ant

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (ant @ 23 Mar 2009, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all, just signed up to this forum.

Can anyone please tell me how i can remove the road markings from a hornby double level crossing. I have the older looking gates on and the markings dont fit with my 1940's layout.

thanks ant

Hi Ant,

Welcome to the forum

There are several ways to remove the markings amongst them a fibreglass pen used gently so the marking just disappears is one though the marks may still show in a certain light, Methelated spirits on a cotton bud or wet and dry paper a fine grade used gently .... this presumably you have the crossing already ...... if not have you considered making your own crossing section on the layout saving the work of removing the markings.

Have fun here and ask away if you need help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks upnick,

Yes I have the crossing in place. I have not tryed the methelated spirits yet, did not know if it would affect the black base colour. I have heard of people using nail varnish remover to take away details on trains, wondered if this would work?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (ant @ 23 Mar 2009, 20:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks upnick,

Yes I have the crossing in place. I have not tryed the methelated spirits yet, did not know if it would affect the black base colour. I have heard of people using nail varnish remover to take away details on trains, wondered if this would work?

Hi Ant,

The nail polish remover could melt the plastic for removing paint from trains ...... i have a lot gentler proved method .. as Makdkitten has said painting it to match the surrounding area is and excellent idea weathered in it would blend well ........ if you feel confident to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me again,

Thanks for the ideas on the crossing, not sure which to try first, I painted the road with oil paints I had left over, so getting the same colour would be hard. I may make a new crossing and then repaint the lot.

Ok next question, I have been thinking about painting the track with a rust colour paint (like I have seen in the magazines), how do I go about it? Do you paint the top of the rails or just the sides?

ant

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Ant,

An idea if your going to make a crossing is here in a thread i have for reference ... it involves laying rails in roads but can be used on a crossing just as easily, plaster of paris works just as well as the Walthers smooth it.

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=815

Painting the rails easier can be done using this handy tool

http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pd109274...p;categoryId=35

Heard good reports on its performance and its a lot quicker applying paint ...... there is a demo video on that link if you scroll down the page.

Dont use Humrol 113 rust though as it just doesnt look right ... the top of the rails should be left clean and shiny as in real life and to provide contact to the locos wheels.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I used the 'rusty rail painter' with their 'brown rust' paint last week.
Did 20 yards of plain track, 7 points, a single slip and a double slip in about 90 minutes.
Very minor concern is the sameness of the colour and finish but a small application of weathering powders (ground-up pastels for me) gave an excellent result.
Beats the heck out of painting the rail sides with a brush.
regards
Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the tips, will be working on those in the next week or so.

Last thing for now, my other main interest is the second world war, so I have added pill boxes, anderson shelters, posters, army and raf figures to my layout. I would love to know where I could get some military train stuff. I have a model power sherman tank and search light on a wagons, but could not get the willy jeep ones that I wanted.

Got the idea from the bentley model railway groups layout that was in the november 2008 hornby magazine.

ant

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you're looking for jeeps, ether for wagon loads or general senic items, you could always try the "snap together" examples made by Italeri for war gamers. You can see them here http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=IT7506 . You even get two to a pack. If you need somthing more detailed, there are several other kits around. Look for the one from Airfix, or Academy (though the latter dosn't come by itself). For other vehicles you might look at the similar "snap together" kits from HaT Industries, their Armorfast range, you can see them here http://tinyurl.com/Armorfast

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
I've got a Willy jeep I don't want. Where are you - you can have it for nowt except postage (still may not be worth it though)

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the help and the offers. I like the look of the snap together ones, think I will get some of them.
I have made the airfix ones before, but I am not very good at painting them.

I am in south london by the way.

ant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts