Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (guest5234 @ 20 Dec 2007, 21:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone please.

Looks sort of like a Great Northern N class mallett - the running gear certainly looks like Rivarossi but is it the original boiler etc???
Number is wrong if it is an N series - as far as I know the N series was the only Northern Mallett and they were #2000 to 2024

apart from that my US loco knowledge is a bit rusty, sorry.

here's a diagramme of the N3

Regards

Richard

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Pretty sure this represents the Great Northern R class mallet, as these were Belpaire simple 2-8-8-2's with Vanderbilt tenders. There were at least a couple of subclasses, but I couldnt say which it might be.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 20 Dec 2007, 21:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pretty sure this represents the Great Northern R class mallet, as these were Belpaire simple 2-8-8-2's with Vanderbilt tenders. There were at least a couple of subclasses, but I couldnt say which it might be.

***You made me go looking :). I was wrong wrong wrong about N class being the only one. R class it may well be as the number fits too...!

Is this it perhaps

Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 20 Dec 2007, 12:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks sort of like a Great Northern N class mallett - the running gear certainly looks like Rivarossi but is it the original boiler etc???
Number is wrong if it is an N series - as far as I know the N series was the only Northern Mallett and they were #2000 to 2024

apart from that my US loco knowledge is a bit rusty, sorry.

here's a diagramme of the N3

Regards

Richard

Thanks I have posted a couple more photos.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
This really IS an oldie...I have the remains lettered for B&O.......I believe it is a generic model, rather than a 'specific' prototype....and yours MAY possibly have been re-lettered/numbered?

My example was the one I reported ages ago with the crumbled gearboxes.

I still have a reasonably intact tender.....but I think Rivarossi used more than one tender type??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 20 Dec 2007, 14:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This really IS an oldie...I have the remains lettered for B&O.......I believe it is a generic model, rather than a 'specific' prototype....and yours MAY possibly have been re-lettered/numbered?

My example was the one I reported ages ago with the crumbled gearboxes.

I still have a reasonably intact tender.....but I think Rivarossi used more than one tender type??

How old do you think it is? has it any value as I have been left quite a few trains and will sell on ebay possibly.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
off-hand, Id say, at LEAST......early-mid '70's.....certainly produced alongside the Big Boy.....maybe older, say the 60's?

the motor is the early style, in my eye's.......certainly an impressive loco when viewed from a normal modeller's distance.
Your example has certainly seen some action, judging by the wear on the wheelsets.

As to 'worth'?

well.I got mine for a couple of quid, back towards late 1989 or early 1990's.......promptly put it onto the NMRA modular layout and off it went........only 'fell apart' when I tried to give it a 'service!'
I also got a Mantua 4-6-4 with a stuffed motor, in with the deal.
re-motored with a second-hand Pittman motor.....those old Mantua's really did move with grace and gravitas??

Real olde-worlde diecast stuff!!!

all of which doesn't REALLY answer your question, does it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts