Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi All,

I have heard differing tales about locos sitting on track not being used for eg....... in sidings or awaiting a point change for the signal to go on to the mainline, some advice is locos can be left on a DCC layout indefinatley to under no circumstances unless the loco is being used should it be left on track which is live at all times.

I would like to have locos awaiting movement on the layout and need to have a definitive answer as to whether the decoder can be damaged by leaving it on live rails not recieving instruction from the cab, as i see it as long as locos being used do not have the same address as others on the layout everything should be fine.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Is this an urban myth.

My understanding was that you could leave loco's sitting on the track for as long as you like.

Unless they have funtions (ie sound or lights etc) they are drawing so little current that it doesn't matter and has no adverse effect on the chips. In fact it may potentially prolong the life of the chip as it is recieving power however small.

Cheers

John

Al my chipped locomotives sit on the track 24/7

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (MrBemo @ 20 Sep 2008, 11:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought that that was the idea of digital, to be be able to leave everything on the track at all times.

*** Its probably just a confusion

DC locomotives should not be left on a DCC layout....ever. They will eventually cook. This particularly important with N scale, they will cook very quickly!

DCC equipped locomotives can sit there forever and no problem will exist for loco or layout.

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 20 Sep 2008, 06:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,

Not being terrifically electrically minded, is it better to keep a charge on chipped locomotives, rather than having then sit in a box or cabinet. ?

Cheers

John

I have had the odd occasion when a chipped loco seems to have lost its settings when out of use for a long time, but only with very old decoders. Otherwise you should not have any problems either way.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Thats the confirmation i needed to have the locos on track many thanks to you all,

"I thought that that was the idea of digital, to be be able to leave everything on the track at all times."
me too Mr bemo as has been said this can be done no problems.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 20 Sep 2008, 13:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,

Not being terrifically electrically minded, is it better to keep a charge on chipped locomotives, rather than having then sit in a box or cabinet. ?

Cheers

John

***Brians answer covered it pretty well really - Older decoders, particularly early digitrax, seem prone to their own form of electronic alzheimers, but in general they are fine.

Something overlooked is static electricity too - all processor based electronics.... but especially older decoders... are susceptible to it - many a club member has taken their working loco off the layout, placed it on the car seat, got to the club, grabbing it after stepping out of the car and zappppp - dead or partially brain dead decoder!

if you take your loco's for a drive, always transport chipped loco's in a non plastic box, and don't touch until you have grounded yourself or at least been there long enough for any body static to have dissipated...

Richard

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have had a loco that never saw digital for 15 years but was OK once I had read the address and could call it up. The chip was one of the first lenz ones that someone had put in the loco before I bought it, and I used it on DC for the 15 years so I dont think it matters either way as the loco was kept in a box and only used intermitantly sometimes not being used for many months.

regards

mike g

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 20 Sep 2008, 12:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you take your loco's for a drive, always transport chipped loco's in a non plastic box, and don't touch until you have grounded yourself or at least been there long enough for any body static to have dissipated...

Richard
Something to bear in mind - especially as we are taking 20 odd loco's for a 200mile drive next Saturday !

They will be transported in wooden trays with foam sides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts