Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all can I first apologise if this relates to you.

I listed a Graham Farish loco on fleabay and the loco had been ran for 60mins in both directions to run it in and also lightly oiled like it also says in the instructions.

I had put in the desc that the loco was mint the only thing I missed off the sale was that I had to adjust the back to backs as there was a slight problem with it running on my kato track and once the back to backs were done it ran like a dream.

Now the person who bought it has messaged me back saying they are wanting to return it and wanting a refund because the back to backs are wrong for his layout and in his opinion I have over oiled the loco.

Now with regards to the oiling I never over oil my locos and I only use 1 or 2 drops if the loco actually needs it and in my opinion the fact the back to backs are such a small thing it does not warrant a full refund seeing as it is something that sometimes needs doing if you buy stuff from the dealer.

On the listing I did not say there was a refund policy due to a previous problem I encountered selling stuff on there but I don't think he has realised this.

Can anyone help me with this please as I've never had this kind of problem selling locos before. Is the back to back problems enough to expect a refund?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (zmil @ 22 Aug 2008, 03:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
A couple of things to consider
1. Is your sellers reputation important to you? after an old buying mistake that was made which pushed my feedback down I have not had any negative feeback especially as a seller. So in a way yes it is really
2. Was the item paid by Paypal. yes the buyer paid for the item through paypal

I myself rely on feebay a fair amount , so if a customer is not happy , I tell them to send the item back (you can always re-sell it latter ) and offer a refund less postage.
If I know that I have made an error , I would offer a full refund.(after item is returned)I don't believe that the back to backs is an error on my part as it was wrong when I got it and I corrected it so it runs on my kato track. I mean how am I to know that it doesn't run on peco track which I would have thought was the same to be honest

If they paid by PayPal - yes offer the part refund
If they open a "Item not as described" dispute-- PayPal nearly always favours the buyer

One bad "feedback" can undermine the prices of the rest of the things you sell

Hope this helps
Zmil

the last thing I want to do is spoil my selling reputation but looking at the sale again am I within my rights then to refuse the refund seeing as it wasn't offered when I listed the item? The buyer has just decided to message me saying he was going to send the item back without asking if it was alright or not. Without trying to workout a solution that will be ok for both parties.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I sent him a message early this afternoon and also one before I went to work on nights 210808 and I hadn't recieved a reply to the message I had sent in reply. I'll see when I get home today at 8am if he has replied and I'll let you know what he has to say if he's replied. I would like to know what he has said but the works computer has a lock on it that won't let me check my personal things even when it's serine and peacefull ( we never use the Q word even when at work as it normally sends things nuts).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So after a weekend of no messages from the buyer I have finally recieved a message from him.

"Hello Kian

I took the model along to Taybridge Models (advertises in RM) for a second opinionand he agreed that the model was as i described to you on Friday. I would therefore be obliged if you could let have your instructions for the return of the loco."

Now I will let him slide that he has spelled my name wrong but I would be tempted to find out what the shop has done to find out how the model is not ok to be sold. If it is a case of them having to take the model apart to find out that it is not as described and if that is the case do I stand by my guns and refuse a refund as it has been tampered with since I sent it to the buyer. I have mailed the buyer again to clarify what the shop has done and when I get the model back I will be checking and taking it to my local shop to make sure no tampering has been done to it and that it is still in the condition I sent it to him.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that Zmil.

Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...O:IT&ih=018

I also received another message from him after I had asked him if the place he had taken it to had taken the loco apart.

Here is his reply.

Hi Kain

Taybridge is not a shop but a professional repairer and kit builder. He did not dismantle the loco but measured the back to backs and examined the wheels. He said that he would not be willing to alter the back to backs but could give me an address of someone who could do so.

The comment on the overoiling was based on the amount of staining on the insert and the oil wiped of the wheels/chassis - a loco I overoiled myself cost me a new chassis.

I just do not feel happy with the mechanical condition and do not think that the description given was accurate given that you knew about the back to backs. I will post the loco back tomorrow special delivery.

YF

Duncan

I have relented and said I would give him a refund for the loco only when I have taken reciept of it and I will put the loco back on again after resetting the back to backs myself. If this person he took it to cannot sort out a small matter of back to backs then I am better of re-listing it. At the end of the day what ever was on the packaging was from my hands (as this is a clean hobby isn't it!!!!!) whilst I was taking it out of the box whilst in my shed but the loco was in Mint condition and pulled really well on my layout when tested. I think i'll just put this down to experiance and hope he doesn't leave neg feedback for it as if he does I think my ebaying days are over as this occassion has really got me fed up with it now. I mean I have only had 1 problem and this is it and all my other buyers have never complained about over oiling of my stuff I've sold.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know very little about this apart from what I've been told but the basic thing is back to backs is the spacing between the same wheels on the same axle.

If the wheels are slightly out even by a tho then it could affect how your models run.

9 times out of 10 they are correct from the factory and they never need adjusting but sometimes as in my case the wheels have been moved into the right position so that it runs perfectly on kato track and points but it might not work properly on peco track. It is all down to tho's of measurements and it is not hard to do but it does take a lot of fiddling to get right sometimes.

If I remember rightly the reason I adjusted it in the first place was because when the loco went round a certain curve, just in one direction the train ran poorly. I was stumped until a friend told me it might be the back to back measurements that would sort it. We faffed with it for about 2 hours and in the end we had cracked it.

On the loco it is easy to move the wheels in an out it just takes a lot of patience and a firm but steady hand to make the fine adjustments needed. With me running on Kato it never occurred to me that it might cause problems on other track.

When I get it back I'm going to buy a cheap bit of peco track and re-adjust the back to backs to how it was before and then resell it again hopefully this time more successfully.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have recieved the loco back and it runs like a trooper. I took it straight out of the box placed it on the track and put 13 coaches on the back of it and it runs like a dream.

I have refunded the price for the loco only minus the postage to cover the fees I paid for it and hopefully I will never hear from this buyer again. I bet he still puts negative feedback on it though.

I think I'll put this one down to experiance. Thanks to all who have given advice regarding this matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.