Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Forgive me for asking, but what are these back-to-backs you´ve mentioned?

Never heard the term before.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know very little about this apart from what I've been told but the basic thing is back to backs is the spacing between the same wheels on the same axle.

If the wheels are slightly out even by a tho then it could affect how your models run.

9 times out of 10 they are correct from the factory and they never need adjusting but sometimes as in my case the wheels have been moved into the right position so that it runs perfectly on kato track and points but it might not work properly on peco track. It is all down to tho's of measurements and it is not hard to do but it does take a lot of fiddling to get right sometimes.

If I remember rightly the reason I adjusted it in the first place was because when the loco went round a certain curve, just in one direction the train ran poorly. I was stumped until a friend told me it might be the back to back measurements that would sort it. We faffed with it for about 2 hours and in the end we had cracked it.

On the loco it is easy to move the wheels in an out it just takes a lot of patience and a firm but steady hand to make the fine adjustments needed. With me running on Kato it never occurred to me that it might cause problems on other track.

When I get it back I'm going to buy a cheap bit of peco track and re-adjust the back to backs to how it was before and then resell it again hopefully this time more successfully.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have recieved the loco back and it runs like a trooper. I took it straight out of the box placed it on the track and put 13 coaches on the back of it and it runs like a dream.

I have refunded the price for the loco only minus the postage to cover the fees I paid for it and hopefully I will never hear from this buyer again. I bet he still puts negative feedback on it though.

I think I'll put this one down to experiance. Thanks to all who have given advice regarding this matter.

·
No Longer Active.
13,704 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 29 Aug 2008, 10:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hopefully I will never hear from this buyer again. I bet he still puts negative feedback on it though.

I think I'll put this one down to experiance.

Well, you can ban the buyer from bidding on your auctions in the future which may help - if he does post negative you can post a reply which will be available for anyone to see.

Otherwise, it is of course just another experience to put down.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 29 Aug 2008, 11:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, you can ban the buyer from bidding on your auctions in the future which may help - if he does post negative you can post a reply which will be available for anyone to see.

Otherwise, it is of course just another experience to put down.

Good suggestion Brian, i have come close to banning one buyer ......... yes you have the option to leave feedback in return to any negative feedback Kain if you need any help contact me off forum.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.