Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
I would agree with the previous comments. I have used many types of glues on cardboard in the past and of them all Woodworking PVA is probably the number one for me. (Resin W for example).
[/quote/

Avoid the really cheap craft PVA unless you know the quality. Some can be quite watery and cause wrinkling of thinner card or paper.

I find PVA takes too long to dry so...

The worst has to be normal UHU, not because it doesn't stick but because of the strings of glue it leaves
... UHU, Bostik and generic equivalents are my favourites, in the solvent versions. Use them like contact adhesive, ie apply and leave for 5-10 mins (while you cut out another part) to go tacky and they stick instantly. I don't like the solvent free versions and the solvent ones are still available so I guess there is a real difference.

The trick I've found is to let the glue run out under gravity with only the slightest squeeze of the tube. This makes it much easier to control and avoid stringing. You'll still get some stringing but think about the direction you move the tube away from the workpiece and it's easy to avoid spoiling a visible part.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
828 Posts
QUOTE (dooferdog @ 13 Dec 2006, 19:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Super glue is accelerated by moisture, and PVA is largely water. To hold a large/long joint whilst it dries, it is quite possible to apply some 'tack weld' spots of superglue gel in the glue line, and then offer up the two pieces. The s'glue will grab after a few seconds, and hold all steady until the PVA sets. It's how I glue the thin wood stiffeners I put on the inside of my card roofs, especially. Good Luck!
That's an interesting technique.

I knew about the moisture, but was surpised to see that the instructions on the UHU superglue I bought the other day advised breathing on the parts before glueing them.

Also in the instructions, UK users who need to unstick their fingers are advised to soak in warm soapy water and gently peel apart. AUS users are advised to use a solvent.

Must be all that sun makes the aussie's skin tougher than our delicate stuff. LOL!

Andrew Crosland

1 - 2 of 2 Posts