Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
To open up the topic a little more CeeDee, I have built a couple of card kits recently (Metcalf) and been pleasantly surprised, so maybe I can become a "convert to cardboard", - it's cheaper that plasticard!!
My question is, how can I add extra detail? (Drainpipes etc) Can I stick plastic bits on, if so with what glue? Also is there a simple way of highlighting the relief effect of stone or brick finishes.
Finally, what do you find to be the best glue to use and weathering method. (OK that's two finallys).
Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks CeeDee, your reply helps no end.
I've been using Copydex on my Metcalf kits, applied with a small brush, which is very good. The main problem is that even when kept in water between applications, the brush gets in one hell of a state very quickly.
Just one more question (sorry ) Have you scribed Metcalf card kits? I'm afraid to try it without advice in case I ruin their excellent printing. Perhaps I should be using a different scriber!!
Thanks again, I'll be watching your future posts on this topic.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just a thought CeeDee, what about a section on how to build with card on your website. As a regular reader, I am sure I'm not alone in saying I would find it useful.
If it would be too much of an undertaking, perhaps a few brief tips would be better than nothing.

Or am I just a mad Welshman who wants the world and can buy a book with all the information, thereby leaving you in peace and quiet to do what you really want to do with your time?
If so just tell me to sod off, I'm pretty thick skinned and slow to take offence, even if I do enjoy reading how other people "do their thing".
Whatever, many thanks for a very enjoyable website, which I would (and do) recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice model Bob, to my eye, equally as good as anything I can produce in Plasticard !
I assume that the painting has been done with acrylics or watercolours ? Whatever, the finish is good.
Now I'm starting to understand how the modellers at Pendon can produce such good work !

·
Registered
370 Posts
Okay, the end result certainly proves your original post, encouraging others to consider card.
Now all we have to do is learn the practical skills, get used to working with a new medium and some reasonable models will follow.
Sounds easy put like that, but I'm sure that many attempts later I'll still be trying ( and failing ) to replicate your standard.
Doesn't mean that I wont try though -- Ah! railway modelling, such fun.
Thanks for the inspiration look forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just a short note to endorse CeeDee in his use of PVA glue for card.
I've tried everything over the years and glue was one of the main reasons I gave up trying with card.
Now a pot of neat PVA, a brush, a pot of water and a cloth, and I'm away. Cheers CeeDee !!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Once again an inspirational piece of modelling, Bob.
I am assuming the stone jetty wall is not card but some sort of plastic/styrene ? Whatever it is, the finished effect is a complete success.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bob, I think I've mentioned before that until you started this thread I'd never worked in card.

Thanks to you I have been encouraged to have a go. I started with some Metcalfe kits, to "get the feel" of things without having to worry about design. So far I've completed four of these. My standard must have been OK because a friend asked me to try and improve on a made up kit he had been given, which had been put together badly.
To say badly might be an understatement, because I'm now in the process of taking badly built bits off a Metcalfe station, adjusting the fit, cleaning off glue that looks like it was put on with a 2" paintbrush and reassembling.

Now it might well be easier to set fire to this abomination and buy a new kit for him, but the point is I'm learning a tremendous amount by having a go. This kit may never be of any use on a layout, but it will do wonders for my confidence in working with card. The motto to all this ?? Well I think it enforces the point you have been making for some time --- You'll never be any good at something new until you get off your a
se and try.

So thanks for your encouragement and keep the tutorial going -- it's proving invaluable.

PS Any tips for removing excess glue as thick as icing sugar, without doing too much damage to the card ?

Many thanks and good modeling. Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.