Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Hi CeeDee, K,

Packs of 'Sun' dishwasher tablets (or I suppose any heavy, compact product) are made of a very fine corrugated card that needs only a ltlle soaking to remove the brown inner layer. See 'Modelling from waste products' thread in this part of the forum.

CeeDe, found the car keys to access the camera 3 days before going on hoiday when opening the tool bag to get small hammer to break side window to get in for spare keys....yes, I know, Duh!
Good luck with building, K.

· Registered
71 Posts
Accidently, I have dicovered that a folded-up item like 15 x 15 mm chimney stack ( made in 3"-4" lengths ) in card set like hardwood if runny super glue is poured/run along the folds. It's like the model version of epoxy resin. The whole 'stick' of chimney former goes iron-stiff and can be cut to length with a razor saw.

PS Cee Dee, camera still "hors de combat", ;cheapo' cheqer plate still out standing. Keep up the good (Card) work!!!!!!!

· Registered
71 Posts
Hi CeeDee!

Seen one of these? Picked it up at an art suppliers in Perigeuex, for €6-95. Works very well, better if you do thick card from both sides. The packet says 'Beware, Blade very sharp!' What it should say is 'Silly old g^ts should not try it out resting on their desk using only two thin layers of card...'

Didn't know they existed, can't wait to try it out for real.

· Registered
71 Posts
Hi Again, Cee Dee, and all who try to model with free/cheap materials, piccy below of piece of plastic cut from an old VHS video cassette, it's an acceptable sustitute for engineering brick or industrial surfaces if painted silver perhaps? I intend to cut a narrow strip to try and edge a bit of goods shed platform on which to mount a crane. It's about 7.5 inches long.

· Registered
71 Posts
Brian, if you want to be rough and ready, fine pinking shears from a dress shop or art suppliers will give yo a v notch effect, though probably over scale. Bear in mind that scale 4.5-5"" approx points come up at less than a millimetre wide, can you see that well? I'd go for printing a line of exclamation marks on thin card in a font size that approximated to half the pitch of the available shears and cutting a strip off. I have bought some plastic valence mail order, but I am disapointed with the fineness. Guess the next step is to examine the etched brass scene, Mainly Trains, I think are most likely.
Hope it gives some ideas.

· Registered
71 Posts
DWB,

Since I once tried to use SWMBO's Singer to try and mend my fishing haversack and broke it, I, and I suspect thousands of other men like me are permenantly excluded from ever touching the things again........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.