Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 80 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
The next project was something totally different and much simpler to make with plain card and some off cuts of square timber. Barchester needed a jetty for it's main canal basin and this was the result. Once more totally freelance without pretentions of being anything otherwise.
In this picture you can see the plain top of the jetty which has been scribed for planking and then coloured with wood dye. The 'legs' are short lengths of square timber.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Here you can see that the jetty has had all the bits added to it from the previous photograph plus a few drums and crates. There is much more to add once the model has been installed on the layout and a friend has given me a plastic kit of a crane which should be suitable for the jetty. I am not a lover of plastic kits, much preferring to make my own stuff and having looked at the bits and pieces that make up the kit I cannot see a problem with making them from card.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here we have the new plastic crane fitted to the jetty so now the whole thing can be positioned in it's permanent home in the larger of the two canal basins on Barchester. Notice how effective the use of simple materials can be, bits of card, nails, string etc.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Finally here is the jetty installed in the canal basin. It still awaits more bits, people, fisherman etc but other than that this is how it looks. A very simple thing to make, an excellent starting point for anyone wanting to venture into the world of card construction.

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (CeeDeeI @ 2 Aug 2006, 18:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here we have the next stage of construction with the completed girders. The Class66 is just trying things on for size.

Sorry to retread a bit, I take it the supports are all made of cardboard, did you paint them first, before fitting to platform? Also the platform surfaces look very realistic, did you draw the slabs first, using a thin pen before doing a wash with paint over the top? and are they groved or smooth? Thanks for the tips by the way

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (CeeDeeI @ 4 Sep 2006, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here you can see that the jetty has had all the bits added to it from the previous photograph plus a few drums and crates. There is much more to add once the model has been installed on the layout and a friend has given me a plastic kit of a crane which should be suitable for the jetty. I am not a lover of plastic kits, much preferring to make my own stuff and having looked at the bits and pieces that make up the kit I cannot see a problem with making them from card.

Is that top to the jetty made from very thin strips, or one piece that has been scribed, its impossible to tell and it looks excellent by the way!

·
Registered
375 Posts
With regard to the first post all the girder work is made from card and was painted in situ as I don't really like handling things after they are painted, especially when acrylic paints have been used. The platforms are scribed card, grooved, then given a wash of dirty water (water that has been used for cleaning brushes) and then wiped with a rag.
The jetty has been laid with individual planks of card, on top of a card base, and then the whole thing painted with a wood dye.
Hope this answers your questions ok keekster.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
N gauge has never been my thing keekster but I see no reason why card shouldn't be just as good in N gauge as it is in 00 gauge if that is what you are thinking of. Presumably you are a lot younger than I am so you shouldn't have difficulty with the eyes and hands in that scale whereas now I would find it almost impossible to work to so small a size in the things I like making..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Eye site no problem, technique not so good. Have done a number of Metcalf kits without any problem, but find the plastic ones to be more of a fiddle, especially in N. Where do you get the inspiration for the designs though? Imagination, or photos of the real thing, I suppose there are plenty of wooden Jettys in Spain?

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you can handle the Metcalfe kits without any problem keekster then I would tend to stick with card as a modelling medium as you are obviously comfortable with it. The only wooden jetties I have ever seen are on other peoples model railways so I have presumed that that is what they look like and mine has been made to fit a space. All the other projects at Barchester are to my own design. The criteria being what I think they should look like and not as they are in reality. If my design and reality just happen to coincide then all well and good, if not then that's realities loss and Barchesters gain. In reality and the prototype world Barchester doesn't exist so why should any of it's component parts have to comply with prototype standards especially if it is to the models detriment?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Further to my remarks a couple or three posts back about making cranes from card, as Barchester needed at least two more of them, here is a picture of how I went about it. On the left is a partially constructed crane and on the right the cut out bits for the identical second one. No problems so far. Components are all card, paper and short lengths of kebab sticks.

·
Administrator
10,035 Posts
>short lengths of kebab sticks.
Did you have to eat the kebabs first? I'm not sure I'm that dedicated to railway modelling

David

·
Registered
375 Posts
No Jeff, not plastic but card with a layer of plaster which is then scribed for the brickwork. The beauty of this is that you are not tied to any manufacturers output but can have whatever finish you need.
Here is a picture of the second crane in action in the Goods Yard. Again everything here is of card or paper except for the milk churns.

61 - 80 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.