Model Railway Forum banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts
Discussion starter · #161 ·
Pictures, as requested. All models have been, and are being, made for a ficticious layout, like Barchester, where I design my own kit. They are'nt supposed to represent a prototype but they could just as easily be made to do so.
First loco all card except for funnel and dome, which are balsa.

Loco and coach all card, except for hardware of course.

This one is a diesel railcar.

And here we have a complete train. Loco chassis removed for final lettering and numbering.

Discussion starter · #162 ·
Pictures, as requested. All models have been, and are being, made for a ficticious layout, like Barchester, where I design my own kit. They are'nt supposed to represent a prototype but they could just as easily be made to do so.
First loco all card except for funnel and dome, which are balsa.

Loco and coach all card, except for hardware of course.

This one is a diesel railcar.

And here we have a complete train. Loco chassis removed for final lettering and numbering.

QUOTE Anyone got a photograph of this coaling stage?

I've got several I'll scan and pop them in the post. Anything extra you require can easily be obtained, hand rails, mouldings for the vertical supports.
Alan Downes also covered this type of Coaling Stage in Model Rail I'll see what I can dig out.
I'd just like to add my complements re: the Tram, Loco Body's. I can imagine this they type of construction they must have used pre-WW 2 with the first 00 railways the likes of Edward Beal, must have required a lot of delication.

Discussion starter · #169 ·
More progress being made with this interesting little model. The next picture shows that the box for the cab has been put together, the mounting plate for the swivelling trailer fitted and the wheels assembled. I say assembled but in fact the wheels are just buttons with the four thread holes covered by paper circles from a hole punching machine. The wheel at the bottom of the screen has it's mudguard on show. The wheels are the first non card materials to be used. You can get an idea from the photograph of how this is all going to come together, hopefully.

Discussion starter · #170 ·
Bit more done. Cabs assembled with steering wheels added, (one side of press stud fittings), fronts put together with the typical mechanical horse bumper plus door handles. The chassis components have been assembled also. Wheels, brake rods, (florists wire) and swivelling points for trailer attachment. Still to come, front lights, air horns and fuel tanks.

They're looking good, I can just about manage scratch built buildings!

Regards

John

I have put the prime mover aside for the moment and have got the materials for the five trailers cut out and ready to start assembling. As you can see it's going to be a 'wooden' trailer with 3 plank sides. Wheels as for the prime mover. The card is the usual pure whie. The colouring comes from the lamp I was using.

hello cee dee, i'm very impressed with your work and thank you for showing them. i have got the lolly sticks & match sticks packs. just need the glue now, with reading this thread i'm now thinking of using both together when i get the chance. and doing the card work. thanks to you,
i have just seen in hornby magazine a layout chapel end which uses card kit's from metcalf. i think, it sets the layout off very well.

john

p.s. keep up the good work cee dee

Discussion starter · #175 ·
Thanks John. You can't go wrong with the Metcalfe card kits if you take reasonable care in building them. I have built most of the range over the years and with a bit of thought most of them can be added to, subtracted from, or changed in some other way to enhance their position on a layout. If they are a bit pricey for you then the Superquick range are also well worth a look at. Whatever you do John, enjoy your modelling.

sorry to be so late posting......re corrugated materials.........had some success years ago using foil food trays.

These tend to be a bit thicker material than ordinary tin or baco foil.....eat contents first, mind...and wash up carefully so as to preserve flat bottom.

cutting out strips to scale width of corrugated iron sheets.....impress with serrated tool..hacksaw blade, course mill file, or any other source.

stick down as appropriate.....chewed-up or bent edges ok for usual panel damage.

For ultimate weathering/damage..I have seen etchant painted on edges...not sure what the corrugated material was.....but the resultant lacy edge effect looked so like rusted corrugated iron!

I lived on TV dinners for a while, building my not-so-popular tilting NMRA module.....using the foil trays to make rock moulds...impressed with large lump of coal...then filled with runny plaster mix.

whilst thinking NMRA, Keekster's post re weathering powders reminded me of a Convention back in the early 90's....Kegworth, I think, where a modeller gave a seminar on weathering...very hands-on too.
Each member came away with a freebie film canister containing a short strip of sandpaper, a small makeup applicator...[sponge on a stick], and several sticks of artist's chalks (the square section one's)....about an inch of each, black, brown, grey and white.

virtually every freight car in sight got an instant weathering!

That little kit lasted me for ages!

Discussion starter · #177 ·
A bit more progress with the trailers. The underneath support girders for the flat bed are in place and you can see the wheel supports which will be glued to the undersides of the flat bed and inside the support girders. These wont be visible when all is assembled. The wheels are also ready to be glued in place. The only things not shown here are the brake rodding, which was in the previous picture, and the mudguards which I will cut out and fix when the time comes. When the underside is complete I just have to add the side, rear and front planked sides. The sides and rear 3 plank and the front 5 plank. The squares of card are for the trailer swivel plate where it attaches to the prime mover. The trailer has to be able to be twisted to various positions for doing different jobs on the layout.

Discussion starter · #178 ·
Now we are really getting somewhere and the project is begining to look something like I envisaged. The first picture shows the trailers with wheels fitted, front 5 plank trailer boards in place and, obviously, the mounting plates for trailer to prime mover, although you can't see them.
The brake rods are also fitted and you can just see them in a couple of the models. The press stud steering wheels are also a bit more obvious. They are the only things I have had to buy for these models, the rest comes from the wife's sewing box and my scrap card box. For 60 cents I have enough steering wheels for 40 more cabs or similar such use. Cheapskate or what?

This next picture shows the 2 plank side panels fitted, cab door handles and the mudguards in position.

Getting there chaps, getting there.

Discussion starter · #179 ·
Did a quicky on a container type box just to see what the vehicle would look like with a load on it and this was the result. The 'container' is bigger than the normal load that this type of vehicle would carry but this is just for a 'look see'.
Actually it's a good picture for seeing the wheels (buttons) before painting, door handle, steering wheel (press stud) and brake rods on the trailer.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.