Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I am visiting the North West area at the beginning of September and my query to anybody out there who may be able to help me is. Is it possible to photograph the services on the West Coast main line from any of the platforms at Carnforth station. I understand there is a Carnforth north jct. but does it run near the platforms. Photos may help me with my modelling. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I don't know if this link helps but it seems that currently, Carnforth only has two platforms. Platform 1, Southbound trains from Barrow in Furness (and also Skipton, Hellifield and Leeds towards London,) and Platform 2, Northbound trains to Barrow in Furness (or Skipton, Hellifield and Leeds).

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk/

There does appear to be a road bridge over the West Coast mainline at the north end of the station but the mainline platforms shown in the old station plan below may no longer be there.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The West Coast main-line platforms were partly dismantled to give greater clearance for fast-moving trains. But there is still sufficient there to stand on and take pictures of the main-line trains - use a fast shutter-speed, however. There is also a fence between the usable platform and the main-line which may get in the way.

I understand that there are plans afoot to have trains on the main-line stopping again by rebuilding the platforms. I also understand that the station has undergone a considerable face-lift in recent years.

(See the web-site for Carnforth in the previous reply.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts