Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Not as contentious a post as the title might make out!
Our club has a goodly number of young members and one young fellow about ten years old has not long taken an interest in the hobby. He really just likes playing trains and fair enough.
He family is well off and his dad on an overseas trip on a whim bought a Brawa steamer. It's a grey colour with the number 3201 on the boiler with "K.BAY.STS.B" on the tender. Perhaps someone here knows something about it. It's a fine looking loco but the scene almost looks surreal with perhaps the most expensive loco running around with a lad playing trains with the older members with their cheaper locos having a grin on their faces.
ISN'T THIS A GREAT HOBBY!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I'm sure ME 26-06, our resident expert on all things K.BAY.STS.B will have something to say about it!

I have to say that I enjoy the irony of the situation immensely...

Although "spare the coupling-rod and spoil the child" should apply...haha...but spoil them at ones peril because they are very likely to become unfeeling uncontrollable monsters in later life.

It is good to see youngsters get involved but I wonder how many remain club members into their later teenage years when they are surrounded by 'seriously uncool old people'? I remember it happened to me at my local archery club - tremendous fun until one day (aged ~17) I realised I was the only member aged between 12 and about 45...and through lack of people of my generation I gradually lost interest and gave it up I suppose. Now the only practise I get is when next doors cat gets too close to the birds on the bird feeder...and I get the crossbow out!

I have noticed that when new members of the forum introduce themselves they often say things along the lines of "I was a Thomas the Tank fan as a child, built my first layout as a teenager, discovered girls/boys and model trains were put on hold, now battle-scarred and with permanent commitments I like to escape to my shed once in a while, into which I'm thinking of smuggling past the other half a layout/shunting plank, and so I joined the forum for some advice..."

Perhaps this is a natural progression - to be mad about trains as a child and then return to the hobby in a serious way as an adult when life has settled down?...sorry I'm completely off topic now!

Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 6 Aug 2007, 01:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a Brawa K.Bay S2/6 and I'd love one of these. I just can't get past the price of it. I've thought long and hard about going to 403.28 Euros but it's too much for me. And that price is without the VAT. If you live in Europe you can add on 20%.
Very very nice, I love the way the funnel is styled to continue the cone...but seriously expensive - I wouldn't dare to use it though if I bought one...it would have to sit in a vacuum display case! I have to say I think gray is a pretty feeble paint scheme for such a great model and I would want one that was green or black or blue. (A bit like my face after the the other half found out I'd spent so much on a single model!)

Goedel

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 6 Aug 2007, 01:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm sure ME 26-06, our resident expert on all things K.BAY.STS.B will have something to say about it!

Who? Me?

Ironically, that engine will be mine shortly, too. My gf knocked my Sachsenstolz off the table when I was applying the detail parts, and this experiment showed that a Sachsenstolz will not survive a 3-foot-fall. Her insurance paid up (don´t ask, just don´t ask...
), yet the worst damage was that she burnt her arm badly when the hot light bulb from the lamp she also knocked over hit her arm. Poor her.

Long story short - they had the purple version on sale @ 389,-- Euro, and the insurance paid 379,-- Euro... ahem...

The S 2/6 was conceived and built to break speed records, and prove the superiority of Bavarian engineering over Prussian efficiency (yet again...). To reduce weigt, the boiler was made of thinner steel plates than usual, its pressure being reduced from 16 psi as usual in these days to 14.5 psi. In order to make up for this reduction in pressure, the wheels were built larger in diameter, so that one cylinder stroke would make the wheel travel a longer distance on the rail. However, 20 years later, the 14.5 psi turned out to have been still way too high, as it was thought to be damaged beyond repair. The engine was not scrapped, but given to the Nuremberg Traffic Museum, where it is still on display today.

The engine performed well, being the first engine on the continent to have travelled at 100mph (apparently, there was an engine that did so before in the UK, albeit that speed was not measured using a dynamomoeter car as in Bavaria, but with a passenger´s stopwatch, but I don´t want to go there... the S2/6 was the first engine on the continent to reach 100mph, and that´s it), and was used alonside the Bavarian S2/5 Atlantics and S3/5 fast train engines of the time. It was delivered in grey livery with its boiler and cylinders cased with specially treated sheet metal "Glanzblech" that, like today´s mica car paits, shone in hues ranging from dark blue to light gray depending on the light and the viewpoint of the observer. Brawa tried to capture this appearance by painting the boiler and cylinder in a metallic grey tone, and the rest in a "normal" silk light gray.

On display, shiny and new, the S2/6 3201

As Germany´s economy was booming in the first decade of the 1900s, and the German middle class was one of the beneficiaries from that boom, the money for travel was there and was longing to be spent. Thus, the trains became heavier, since the Bavarian Alps were one of the favorite tourist destinations not only, but also of that time, and the Atlantics along with the S2/6 was no longer able to sustain these loads (these engines had enormous problems starting a train without having the driver wheels slipping, and with the S3/6 engines being around, alongside the S3/5 engines, the Atlantics and S2/6 became technically obsolete merely 5-10 years after they had been built.

However, at the time, "Bavaria" was not only what is to be seen on the map today as "Bavaria", but also featured that Pfalz, or Palatine region on the left side of the Rhine. The Royal Bavarian State Railways deprivatized the Palatinian Railroads in 1909, and introduced its own services, with the engines that were used there being painted in a reddish purple. The Palatine region consisted mainly of flat land, and shorter trains with less stops in the trips. The Atlantics and S2/6 were absolutely sufficient for fast passenger travel (including the Orient Express) in that region, and so were transferred there in 1910. The S 2/6 was also repainted in the Palatinian paint scheme, which is portrayed in the purple Brawa offering (the one I ordered, btw). It was used on a regular basis between the cities of Bingerbrück, Ludwigshafen und Strassbourg (which was German at the time) until 1918, when France claimed the Alsace and Lorraine territories back. The Allies were not interested in claiming the S2/6 as part of their reparations, thus it was used in lower services until 1921, out of Ludwigshafen, to return to Munich in 1921. By now, the boiler´s weakness started to act up, and the engine had to be repaired more and more often, with braces being welded to the tender, which had been built frameless to save weight, and boiler. Brawa added the visible details that were added at the time on their green version. By the mid-1920s, it seemed economcally unfeasible to maintain the engine any further, and when the Deutsche Reichsbahn was founded, one of the prerogatories was that all engines with two or less drivers were to be scrapped. The S2/6 escaped this fate by being displayed at a traffic expo in Munich in 1925, and then passed on to the aforementioned museum.

The S2/6 near the end of its active carreer.

The Brawa engine, with all of its beauty, has a few minor flaws.

Because of the rather high wheel flanges, the Brawa model features slightly too small driving wheels. The distance between engine and tender is a tad too wide. The front coupler pocket can be removed, as this coupler was used only *very* rarely. The trailing wheels upper suspension has not been replicated true-to-scale, this, however, is owned to the model´s ability to negotiate tight curves. OK, this is nitpicking at its best, since the model is one of the finest engines short of handmade brass I have ever encountered. If any of you is interested in one, be aware that the grey version is believed to be as true as it can be, owning to the plating, the purple version has been recreated from actual paint chips, the black and red Reichsbahn version is pure fantasy, as this engine was never painted like that (it didn´t even wear the 15 001 number plate - ever), and the green version is merely on display at the Nuremberg museum, but never saw active duty in that paint scheme.

Pictures were taken from Eisenbahn & Nostalgie

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep that's the one Neil.
Just by looking at it you could sense the build quality.
I'll just have to watch and admire!
The colour looks pretty good in the flesh Goedel and thanks for the info ME 26-06. I thought it meant something about Bavaria.
I'm afraid I'd never heard of Brawa until they were mentioned on this site! Forgive the ignorance!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 6 Aug 2007, 13:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm afraid I'd never heard of Brawa until they were mentioned on this site!

Hey oz,

you´re missing out on what is imho the best high-volume HO steam model:

Brawa G4/5H

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Oz, there's a couple of reviews in the review section of Brawa models. I've found they make some of the best quality rtr models outside of Brass as Tom has said too. The bodies tend to be made of zinc so they will last.

Brawa BR19

Brawa BR06

Brawa Prussian coaches

I'd really like that G4/5 too I'm just having difficulty with the price aspect. 462 Euros for digital premium. I'll get there though. It took me a year with BR06 and it's probably my favourite steamer now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 7 Aug 2007, 08:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Oz, there's a couple of reviews in the review section of Brawa models. I've found they make some of the best quality rtr models outside of Brass as Tom has said too. The bodies tend to be made of zinc so they will last.

Brawa BR19

Brawa BR06

Brawa Prussian coaches

I'd really like that G4/5 too I'm just having difficulty with the price aspect. 462 Euros for digital premium. I'll get there though. It took me a year with BR06 and it's probably my favourite steamer now.

Thanks for the links Neil.
That's the beauty of the large German market I suppose with manufacturers covering different niches. When my pockets are not as long and my wallet fatter they may very well be included!
Thanks.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 22 Aug 2007, 13:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it normal to fall in love with a model train?

At least you don't have to buy it presents and it certainly won't tell you what to do!

Regards

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 22 Aug 2007, 14:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...I must have that model ... I will have that model!

Which one, the S2/6 or the G4/5H?

Here´s a picture of a pre-production sample of a Bavarian EG1 electric. It will also come in brown Reichsbahn livery as class 73.

http://www.eisenbahn-kurier.de/foren/phoru...G1_vorserie.jpg

Hope you like. Price is believed to be in the 200 Euro vicinity.

Oh yeah, i snagged the picture from www.eisenbahn-kurier.de.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 22 Aug 2007, 19:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here´s a picture of a pre-production sample of a Bavarian EG1 electric. It will also come in brown Reichsbahn livery as class 73.

I want, I want, I want - got absolutely nothing for it to pull though !

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 22 Aug 2007, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I want, I want, I want - got absolutely nothing for it to pull though !

Brian, they have the Roco Platinum Series coaches on sale at 50 Euro a piece - they are the fast train coaches that resemble the Prince -Regent´s salon coach.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 22 Aug 2007, 22:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it normal to fall in love with a model train?

I must have that model ... I will have that model!

I have done this on several occaisions, in fact I'm doing it now. I have convinced myself I have to have the Eureka Garratt or my live is no longer worth living.

QUOTE Brian, they have the Roco Platinum Series coaches on sale at 50 Euro a piece - they are the fast train coaches that resemble the Prince -Regent´s salon coach. I got one of these from Modelbahn Kramm along with some of the K.Bay coaches for 30 euro each. absolute bargain. The detail is incredible.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 22 Aug 2007, 22:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Brian, they have the Roco Platinum Series coaches on sale at 50 Euro a piece - they are the fast train coaches that resemble the Prince -Regent´s salon coach.

I was actually trying to pretend that there were no coaches - now I just have to have one & the coaches to go with it !

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 23 Aug 2007, 03:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The G4/5H but first I need to build an alter. While we are all busy genuflecting in the presence of these fine examples of German model engineering where's Gary?

Either he´s going through the garbage that Becky brought out to see if she dumped some stuff that he wouldn´t want thrown away, or he´s trying to figure out how Hornby puts out a product superior to Brawa´s G4/5H (the inner cylinders are neat, btw) but we all fail to realize that fact.

EDIT: OK, this post contains - no, consists solely of, humor. German humor, but humor nonetheless. Except for the inner cylinder bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts