Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

The setting for my layout is fictional - although it's based loosely around Hams Hall and Coleshill Parkway in the midlands. The line that runs through Coleshill Parkway doesn't have catenary, but I don't want to limit what I can run.

I have my eye on a Kato Eurostar for the layout (large amounts of modellers' license required) , and am excited by the fact that Dapol seem to be planning a Pendolino now. I wouldn't want to run stock like this without catenary, as although my layout isn't aiming to be 100% authentic I wouldn't want to have locos that need catenary to be running happily without it!

So my question is twofold - is catenary a realistic thing for a portable N gauge layout? I know that commercial options are available, who's is 'best'?

Secondly, I have a large freight terminal on the layout - I don't want to have catenary over the whole yard, so is it unrealistic to have catenary over the main running lines and then not continued on the yard? Can anyone point me to a real life location where this happens?

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the replies.

Goedel - I suspected that Dapol may launch some catenary to go with the Pendolino but hadn't seen that page, so thank you.

Edwin - that's stuff looks fantastic, I like the idea of it all being brass. I would think it will make it a little more rugged.

Brian - Viessmann is what I've looked at so far, Gaugemaster have it available to purchase.

Tom - yes, the same thought occurred to me, I'll have a look at the Dapol catenary when it's available. There's no rush to get it up, I haven't finished wiring the track yet! My Eurostar arrived today, what a great set.

What do people think about the wire itself? I'm inclined to put masts up and let the wire be imagined - I should think that any wire commercially available will be massively over scale. It also eliminates the problem of crossing baseboard joins.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Poliss - that's scary! Hmmm, I don't fancy that happening in N, the damage would be catastrophic. I'm going to order some gantries from the place that Edwin suggested, and see what it all looks like without the wires. One gantry at least may serve well as a solution to a current problem I'm having with how to disguise the exit through the back scene at one end of the layout.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts