Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Mr Wild. A few months ago, Model Railroader magazine published pictures and an account of the model railway owned, built and run by Rod Stewart. The layout was fabulous and showed just what an enthusiast Rod is. The layout was built and is based in the states, but in the account it said that Rod had a layout in one of his homes in Britain that depicted the East Coast Main Line. Rod also said how pleased he was that his american layout had been accepted by Model Railroader, and he said it was better than being on the cover of Rolling Stone.
That article got me thinking that maybe Rod would welcome an english magazine featuring his british layout, and I further thought it would be interesting to see the layouts of other enthusiast celebrities. We all struggle to find space, time and money to devote to our projects, and I for one would like to see what can be achieved if there are no such restrictions.
Best regards John S.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I remember seeing Rods wife on Richard & Judy & it showed photos of the us layout & it was brilliant she also mentioned about Rods attention to detail i would certainly like to see his ecml layout

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
As to famous people and model railways, I didn't like his politics but one of the best (for that time) must have been the one owned, if not built by, Reichmarschall Hermann Goring (leader of the German airforce during WW2) which occupied the entire attic of his mansion just outside Berlin. I understand from what I've read of it that the attention to detail was fantastic even to having flying aircraft. Remember this was built nearly 70 years ago.
As has been said already, it's amazing what you can do given virtually unlimited funds and room. I wonder if he ever complained that "If I had just a few more feet then .....", as the rest of us seem to.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Greg H @ 19 Jan 2009, 06:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"If I had just a few more feet then .....",

More likely "just a few more metres"

There are various opinions about what actually happened to it - what price for any genuine items from it ?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Gorings layout must have been big - he was

I first read about it in the book "the First and the Last" by Adolf Galland . He was the German pilot that told Goring he would like his Squadron equipped with Spitfires.

He mentions , in the book , a visit to Carinhall and describes the Trainset

From some records of the day about Carinhall

More construction took place during the year 1939. Existing buildings were enlarged in this second round of remodeling. The already huge Jagdhalle was enlarged from 72 to 215 feet, a new main entrance was constructed and the courtyard was enlarged as well. Also added were a dentist office, a sauna and fitness room (with Elizabeth Arden massage machines), an indoor swimming pool and a new set up for Göring's model train set which consisted of 321 feet of electric train tracks with tunnels, bridges and even miniature airplanes. The 1941 insurance value of the train set was 662,345 Reichsmarks ($265,000)!

Regards

Zmil

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 19 Jan 2009, 12:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More likely "just a few more metres"

There are various opinions about what actually happened to it - what price for any genuine items from it ?

Brian, Goring might have thought in metres, but Galland describes it in feet, so who knows? The point remains, however.

As to what happened to it, most of the places important to the 3rd Reich were destroyed and I assume (but don't know) that his mansion was also, so presumably the model was blown up around 1946 or 47?
From the perspective of the 21st Century and railway modellers I can only say what a waste.
Greg.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Greg

I got that Info from a American researcher , lots of Items from Carinhall were taken by local people in the area and Goring had most of the Artworks and valuables removed and transported south to Tirol and southern Bavaria.- a lot of these have never been recovered. Items that the locals took were recovered by the soviet forces , a list of the items is on file at the Brandenburg State Archives in Potsdam, but nobody knows what happened to the items on it after the list was made.
Goring had Carinhall blown up before the Soviets moved in. The American researchers found some items recently including 1 Train wheel

The Website explains in more detail Here

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think somewhere I saw a picture of it. While it was big, it was sceniced as per the day using tinplate building etc.

I don't think it was Marklin :-(

As to its value, well that German prewar stuff is pretty expensive anyway, and would saying that he had owned it add anything to its value?

As a modeller of Epoch IIb, its funny when you thing about it. I model the past and he modeled the current day, yet we both model the same thing!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 20 Jan 2009, 10:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks like 3-rail to me.

Quite - but then nearly everything was pre WW2

Regards

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I recall Neil Young has a large layout, years ago i watched a documentary about him and his handicapped child playing with an o gauge train layout which was obviously huge , he also has a strange collection of old cars

1 - 20 of 30 Posts