Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
In a model shop I could have sworn I saw a blue-grey intermediate car for what looked like a Class 108. I know the green 108 just released has a centre car in its set, but the model in other liveries don't. They are only sold as two cars- some say that Bachmann never released a centre car.

Currently I have the NSE Class 108. If they don't produce an intermediate car in NSE colours (if they ever ran as three cars), could it be historically accurate to use this supposed blue-grey centre car instead? Could you use Mk. 1 coaches?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (sambwoy @ 2 Jan 2009, 12:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could you use Mk. 1 coaches?

The very simple answer is no. Mk1's were considerably longer than DMU coaches, and if memory serves they also used different control systems.

However I'm fairly sure that NSE did run 3 car 108s.

Regards

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about Class 108/101 hybrids? I am sure such formations existed. Not strictly to make longer trains but to create variety. But I don't think the Hornby and Bachmann stock can couple up well can they?

I guess that the Bachmann 108 is superior to the Hornby 101.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
In theory any class of DMU could run with any other, as long as they had the same control systems, blue star, red square etc.
whether this happened on a regular basis I wouldn't like to say, but it's always worth looking at photographs from the intended modelling period.

Regards

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
It gets a bit complex when it comes to DMUs.

In theory, the two car units only had two engines in the DMBS and none in the DTC, whilst the three car units had engines in the DMBS and DTC with a TS sandwiched between.

Hybrid units were very rare until the blue/grey era. For operational purposes you would be best to run a Bachmann 108 DMBS with a Hornby 101 DTC or a Hornby 101 DMBS with a Bachmann 108 DTC which did happen in practice.

Reference to the various books on the subject is best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts