Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An article from this weeks 'Computer Active' magazine (issue 281) states the following:

'Consumers will not have to pay customs duty on goods worth less than £105 if they have been bought online from outside the European Union.'

At the moment, duty is charged on goods over £18. The change will take place on 1st December.

VAT will still apply as charged on the same items in the U.K.

More info on the customs website hmrc.gov.uk/podcasts.

Pity about the drop in the value of the dollar though.

AlanB.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That's why I pack my Model Railway purchases from the USA in my luggage! Post the receipts to oneself separately. The EU is already costing us in Engand UKP 106,000 per day so no need to feel guilty about their loss of VAT.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Correction to my above post. Should have read UKP 106,000 per minute!

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Wish i'd known about this after bringing in two PA 1's
cost me 25.00 in duty, in the future i will claim any duty back for sure,so what is the procedure pay for the duty and claim it back as my local sorting office wont give me the goods till the duty is paid and getting a reciept for it is nigh on impossible.
Now all we need is a better exchange rate for the dollar

·
Registered
264 Posts
A few months ago, I had a small parcel of Lenz decoders from the States delivered by the Post Office.
As 'UPNICK' states, you have to collect and pay.

I just photocopied the whole side of the box with the labels on, and sent it to the Post Office complaints department.

I duly received a letter with a Cheque for £8 and a statement that I should not have been charged.

I knew that, but why do their staff not know?.

AlanB.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 25 Nov 2008, 00:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check the customs duty on model railways for yourself at http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/c...tarchap?Lang=EN The code for model railways is 9503003000 If anyone has been charged duty they should reclaim it.
They are still liable to pay any VAT and processing fee from the carrier.

Still can take the edge of a purchase though - many people we know have still been "caught" & paid the duty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts