Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
***Hello Charley :). Thats a serious font you chose for the post!

Re Vista - you may need to hunt for another USB driver file but apart from that it'll work fine - if its "fresh dealer stock" it should come with a vista compatible driver for the USB chipset. If not a bit of research will find you one.

Re sound mods:

Basically no, you cannot read back or save a sound file thats already in a decoder. Whats there is there. You can modify level or which function does what, but that is about all.

You can add your own self created sound files to an existing ESU sound file before loading though - you can also load then modify providing its done in one session - once the newly loaded loco is off the track or that sound file is closed, it'll need reloading again to allow modification. Be aware there are NO UK files available ex ESU within the very many free ones they offer.

So - what you have is what you have as far as the preloaded decoders go - what you achieve is up to you for files you create yourself, and while its a long learning curve to get it right, the possibilities are endless.

You can download "Audacity" for free - google it and you will find it - its a JMRI project and is a sound edit programme if you need one. Your recordings need to be saved as a wave file after you have finished creation...

You do not need to change the sample rate to suit LokSound - the Loksound does all that for you. Be aware you have limited memory available so you may have to delete some files to make space in order to add others to the ESU projects

Regards

Richard

PS:

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
*** Hi - thats good! I'm pleased you found the Vista reference with no problem.

Yes, its a learning curve but after the first few days of throwing it around the room it'll click and you will be on the way if you persist. Do join the LokSound group on Yahoo - some good specific help is available there and I also drop in there from time to time.

When you join, trawl the group files a little, as there are several improved translations of the German instructions there too (all original ESU english manuals for programmer and LS sound decoders are to say the least not as helpful as they could be)

I haven't cooked up Kestrel yet but I suppose it can be done - I'll have to see if I have any recordings here for it.... I may well have if I dig deep enough!

Richard

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
QUOTE (dwhite4dcc @ 17 Feb 2009, 06:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Elliptical speakers are not as good as round ones.

*** Hi David - I agree with the rest of your post but the above bit is simply not correct. Oval speakers are quite capable of being exceptionally good, and in many model train installs, are markedly superior to round speakers.... this applies to the ESU large oval as well as others.

Think back to hi-fi as well - the Kef B139 woofer was a ery famous oval speaker (6x9) and is still sold to this day - it is without doubt an exceptionally nice woofer/loudspeaker!

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.