Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After having a big clear out and measuring up my shed for a new layout I am thinking of defecting from 00 to N. I don't have alot of 00 only a dapol 390, bachmann 66 a 221 + some buildings. I want to model a section of the WCML and so when dapol release there N 390 I can have a full 9 car set in under 1.5m
!!!

This sounds good to me. Has anyone here gone from 00 to N is it worth it?

Tom.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I had OO many years ago but when I returned to modelling I decided to go for N because it allows scale length trains to operate in a reasonably realistic way in the sort of space I would be likely to have available. I'm interested in the railway as a whole rather than being into incredible levels of detailing on locos/rolling stock, for which a larger scale would be a better choice.

For the modern era many N gauge products are of similar standards to their larger equivalents, and N is only a little behind in its coverage of the key classes. Prices for locos and rolling stock are a little less, though you may end up spending more if you have longer trains! Many models now have lights, and DCC is quite possible though the small decoders are a little more costly and you may have to do a bit more hard-wiring as decoder sockets are nowhere near universal. DCC sound is however not possible, except perhaps in multiple units, and it will probably never be possible to fit a decent speaker in a N gauge loco and still retain useful hauling power.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
QUOTE (tom @ 8 Feb 2009, 16:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I want to model a section of the WCML and so when dapol release there N 390 I can have a full 9 car set in under 1.5m
!!!

Hi Tom,

Although as a returnee to the hobby I'm not technically swopping scales I did think long and hard about what I wanted and what was realistic in both scales.

I too wanted long trains in a reasonably realistic environment and N will make that possible, although how realistic that environment will be will depend on how well I can model that aspect of things!

Given your comments then 'modern-image' N in ready-to-run is certainly a sensible option (as Edwin points out there's a pretty good balance between the two scales), and as newer steam models come on stream then even the occaisional 'special' may be worthwhile.

It's the older steam models that "in my humble opinion" represent too great a compromise in N for me, and I'm willing to focus on the modern stuff while we await the newer generation of quality steam motive power in depth to become a reality - what's been introduced in the last few years certainly looks pretty decent.

Good luck with your efforts and keep us posted on your progress

Regards.

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
When I returned to railway modelling, I did the reverse, I switched from N to OO. The main reason for me was that with OO I could easily uncouple remotely (no 0-5-0 hand of God from the sky) and could therefore shunt around a station area, just like I used to see as a young bloke who was facinated by the whole railway scene.

It seems to me that N is great for trains in the countryside, full length reasonable representations, but if detail is what you want, then 00/H0 or O is what you want.

Remeber TT - with what we see today in both N and 00, I wonder if the time for TT is upon us. Reasonable length trains with enough detail to satisfy most of us and the chance for reasonably complex layouts. Trouble is both N and 00 are now so well entrenched, I doubt if TT would stand much chance of survival if reintroduced in these difficult times.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 8 Feb 2009, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Remeber TT - with what we see today in both N and 00, I wonder if the time for TT is upon us. Reasonable length trains with enough detail to satisfy most of us and the chance for reasonably complex layouts. Trouble is both N and 00 are now so well entrenched, I doubt if TT would stand much chance of survival if reintroduced in these difficult times.

If you "go European" there is a great deal of rolling stock & accessories produced.

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Hi Brian

Yeh, there's load of European, but is there any British stuff ? Apart from kits (life's to short) at the moment I think it best to stay with either N or OO. Just thinking aloud, what if British outline was made to HO - we could overcome the narrow guage look and save some train length as well, albeit only just over ten percent.

Bob

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Oh goodness, don't open that can of worms up.....

Some excellent 2mm scale (N gauge) models are produced and some excellent RTR versions are also available. Up to the level of detail and what you actually want to achieve from the hobby and all that.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
QUOTE (tom @ 8 Feb 2009, 16:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I want to model a section of the WCML and so when dapol release there N 390 I can have a full 9 car set in under 1.5m
!!!

This is Tom's original question and to avoid complication and confusion perhaps that's the topic for debate

QUOTE (BobB @ 8 Feb 2009, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When I returned to railway modelling, I did the reverse, I switched from N to OO. The main reason for me was that with OO I could easily uncouple remotely (no 0-5-0 hand of God from the sky) and could therefore shunt around a station area, just like I used to see as a young bloke who was facinated by the whole railway scene.

It seems to me that N is great for trains in the countryside, full length reasonable representations, but if detail is what you want, then 00/H0 or O is what you want.

Remeber TT - with what we see today in both N and 00, I wonder if the time for TT is upon us.

With respect, where today on the WCML do we see very much shunting activity
(although I'm planning my N layout around such movements so there has to be a workable solution
) Although there can be variation on the length of trains the modern railway mainly consists of set formations, I would guess BobB that you would be modelling an earlier era, the one we remember fondly

There is an excellent 3mm Society (and likewise the N Gauge Society - I highly recommend membership to anyone who chooses to model in N) and some suppliers and it is a very attractive scale - again, I looked closely at what could be done, but sadly we do not live in the particular parallel universe where British r-t-r is anything like a viable proposition, I think

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 8 Feb 2009, 21:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you "go European" there is a great deal of rolling stock & accessories produced.

QUOTE (BobB @ 9 Feb 2009, 05:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Brian

Yeh, there's load of European, but is there any British stuff ?

Very little, if at all - apart from very dated, mostly ebay sourced tri-ang '60s product. I remember a proposal a few years back for a class 47 r-t-r but it wouldn't have been the basis of an extensive r-t-r range.

QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 9 Feb 2009, 06:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh goodness, don't open that can of worms up.....

Some excellent 2mm scale (N gauge) models are produced and some excellent RTR versions are also available. Up to the level of detail and what you actually want to achieve from the hobby and all that.

Yes, the topic wasn't about a whole range of scales, but a question of switching to N from OO. I think that the modern scene N-gauger can expect almost a parity in what he/she can expect in British outline models and it's up to the individual to assess what they want to achieve in the space available - and then they'll be happier when the layout is up and running.

Regards.

·
Registered
318 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 8 Feb 2009, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I switched from N to OO. The main reason for me was that with OO I could easily uncouple remotely (no 0-5-0 hand of God from the sky) and could therefore shunt around a station area, just like I used to see as a young bloke who was facinated by the whole railway scene.

Yep, the Rapido is large, ugly and has limited functionality. However, there are a number of alternative couplers that can be fitted to N gauge stock - Kadee/MT, B&B, Sprat and Winkle, DG and Alex Jackson. And I understand that a 'new standard' coupler is currently being developed.

QUOTE (BobB @ 8 Feb 2009, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Remeber TT - with what we see today in both N and 00, I wonder if the time for TT is upon us. Reasonable length trains with enough detail to satisfy most of us

I'm not so sure about that particularly in the current depressing economic environment. The detail and fidelity of modern N gauge products is absolutely superb these days. And I'm not aware of any British outline TT scale RTR stock available, certainly not up to the extensive commercial ranges from a number of manufacturers in N gauge.

As previously mentioned I agree about diesels and electrics (being more suitable and more synonomous with N gauge) and I also personally prefer them. IMO in N gauge the steamers never seem to look quite right right. As already mentioned the older models have too much compromise built in, but the newer kettles are certainly improving significantly - particulalrly when stationary. It's now just that frantic whirring and thrashing of all the spaghetti hanging off the wheels when they run that doesn't fully convince me. But here's some recent releases, the 2-10-0 is straight out of the box, and the 08 shunter has been weathered and with the buffer beam pipes that are supplied with it fitted, but all other details are as RTR. A very acceptable level of detail IMO.

G.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is going off on a tangent!

Thank-you "steam-driven boy" for pointing out that I am:

---Modeling Modern Image on and around WCML/ECML/other main lines---

As far as I can tell the level of detail on (for example) a N guage 66 and a 00 guage 66 is equal and I will not face problems sourcing N guage modern image stock.

Thanks for everyones replies, but come on guys admit it , TT is not a real solution to most people!

Tom

·
Registered
318 Posts
QUOTE (tom @ 9 Feb 2009, 17:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for everyones replies, but come on guys admit it , TT is not a real solution to most people!

Yep, I agree, and especially not on the N gauge section of the forum

As previously mentioned, if you're starting out in N gauge it is highly recommended to consider joining the N Gauge Society;

http://ngaugesociety.com/index.htm

I believe you can join on line. You'll get a handbook that contains helpful advice, access to their shop which sells their own range of exclusive kits and a full colour journal six times a year. And once a member of the full society you can join free of charge their 'Modern' group which produces and distributed an electronic on-line newsletter.

http://www.ngauge-modern.co.uk/index.htm

G.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 9 Feb 2009, 06:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh goodness, don't open that can of worms up.....

Damm, does that mean I have to put my tin opener back away then ?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 9 Feb 2009, 05:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Brian

Yeh, there's load of European, but is there any British stuff ? Apart from kits (life's to short) at the moment I think it best to stay with either N or OO. Just thinking aloud, what if British outline was made to HO - we could overcome the narrow guage look and save some train length as well, albeit only just over ten percent.

Bob

Very little (see other comments).

Lima did produce some British outline HO, Fleischamnn produced an excellent Warship & Bullied coaches in HO (most quite recently sold off very cheaply) - there was also some stuff produced in a sort or halfway between scale as well.

The original Hornby Eurostar (produced with/by/for LimaJouef) was also HO but lacked centre coaches.

Probably why BRITHO (hence the handle) likes to model in UK outline HO !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 9 Feb 2009, 05:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what if British outline was made to HO - we could overcome the narrow guage look and save some train length as well

I can only dream.......................

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 10 Feb 2009, 11:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably why BRITHO (hence the handle) likes to model in UK outline HO !

We all have our crosses to bear.

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts