Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 8 Feb 2009, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I switched from N to OO. The main reason for me was that with OO I could easily uncouple remotely (no 0-5-0 hand of God from the sky) and could therefore shunt around a station area, just like I used to see as a young bloke who was facinated by the whole railway scene.

Yep, the Rapido is large, ugly and has limited functionality. However, there are a number of alternative couplers that can be fitted to N gauge stock - Kadee/MT, B&B, Sprat and Winkle, DG and Alex Jackson. And I understand that a 'new standard' coupler is currently being developed.

QUOTE (BobB @ 8 Feb 2009, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Remeber TT - with what we see today in both N and 00, I wonder if the time for TT is upon us. Reasonable length trains with enough detail to satisfy most of us

I'm not so sure about that particularly in the current depressing economic environment. The detail and fidelity of modern N gauge products is absolutely superb these days. And I'm not aware of any British outline TT scale RTR stock available, certainly not up to the extensive commercial ranges from a number of manufacturers in N gauge.

As previously mentioned I agree about diesels and electrics (being more suitable and more synonomous with N gauge) and I also personally prefer them. IMO in N gauge the steamers never seem to look quite right right. As already mentioned the older models have too much compromise built in, but the newer kettles are certainly improving significantly - particulalrly when stationary. It's now just that frantic whirring and thrashing of all the spaghetti hanging off the wheels when they run that doesn't fully convince me. But here's some recent releases, the 2-10-0 is straight out of the box, and the 08 shunter has been weathered and with the buffer beam pipes that are supplied with it fitted, but all other details are as RTR. A very acceptable level of detail IMO.

G.

·
Registered
318 Posts
QUOTE (tom @ 9 Feb 2009, 17:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for everyones replies, but come on guys admit it , TT is not a real solution to most people!

Yep, I agree, and especially not on the N gauge section of the forum

As previously mentioned, if you're starting out in N gauge it is highly recommended to consider joining the N Gauge Society;

http://ngaugesociety.com/index.htm

I believe you can join on line. You'll get a handbook that contains helpful advice, access to their shop which sells their own range of exclusive kits and a full colour journal six times a year. And once a member of the full society you can join free of charge their 'Modern' group which produces and distributed an electronic on-line newsletter.

http://www.ngauge-modern.co.uk/index.htm

G.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts