Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that havent hears, yesterday was not a good day for GNER. there was a major fire just outside Kings cross and all services to and from the terminus were cancelled.
i live about 60 yards from the station and there were helicopters going over all night i didnt get any sleep at all. last night i popped in to take some pictures for you guys.
it was quite quiet at the time. in the afternoon it was chaos. lots of irate passengers getting in a tiff.
reminds me of an incident a copuple of years ago when i was stood at waterloo in the middle of a power cut! they had to go mack to using the manual solari boards to inform passengers about what had happened as even the announcement system had gone down!
anyway enough of my waffle. now for the pics.

Peter

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
By the way all, that was the last photo pedromorgan took before that bobby came over and took him in for "questioning" over suspected terrorism involvement with all his photos of the station - "Trainspotting you say? Well, allo, allo, allo!"

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 27 Jun 2006, 13:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When I saw Chaos at Kings Cross, I was thinking Sydney and some drag out fight between a group of queens.

OK Dennis - what you do in your own time is your own business

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lancashire. actually i did get a few funny looks from the coppers. but i think most of the station staff have seen me about and know i dont do any harm.
i have been searched a few times but only south of the river and the only time i was kicked off a station was st pancras before the work started.
i actually live about 60 metres from where that pic was taken.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its much better now. they have got rid of the prostitutes (moven them to camden) and the police are rather fond of a kebab shop thats about 20 yards from where i live! i think they realised that they didnt want the eurostar turning up and the first class passengers being offered a good time!
where did you live?

Peter

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
At the time you were taking those photos, my son was somewhere between St. Pancras and Paddington. He was stuck at Newark from 3:30 to 6:30. The train staff were unable to pass on any information because they weren't getting any either. The story is that the police were called into Peterborough to restore order. Once they arrived in Peterborough they were bused to Kettering where they got a train to St. Pancras. All in all his delay was about 3 and a half hours.

David

·
Registered
352 Posts
I also lived near Kings X, and have to admit, i have never seen it that quite before, except for a christmass day, how did you get in to take the photos, or have you got a long range lens? how ever you got them thanks for showing us, i wasted many a day during the school hols standing on platform 10, watching the comings and goings there, Happy Days.............

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello thunder. sorry for the late reply. the concourse was open so people could still use the shops and cafe's. but the platforms were shut. i walked past it about 4pm and it was much busier than that with lots of irate passengers flapping their arms about! (great entertainment-and free!!!!) those pictures were taken about 8pm. it was much quieter then.

doug, the fire was actually in a construction site adjacent to the railway. aparently the fire was not very big but there were both acetiline (spelling?) and oxygen cylinders being stored on the site. it is the policy of the uk fire brigade to seal off the area around cylinders and spray them with water for 24 hours. the area included the line from kings cross and over 200 houses. people had to stay in the church over in Camden. i think personally i would have rather risked getting blown up than spend a night in a church in camden!!

I actually havent been along to take pictures of the fire site i should do that tonight.

Peter

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ah, all becomes clear now, as to how you got the photographs, bet there was more than a few irate customers waiting to use the railway, did they have to travel on the underground to finsbury park and then on from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts