Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Some Maerklin is certainly made in China - for example, I recently talked to a chinese company that draws their rail, however, to me, it doesn't really matter anyway.

If current users can't tell unless there's a "Made in xxxxxx" label on it, where is the issue? If the brand manages production to the same standards everywhere, then it is simply the same product.

Classic case of OS parts is Tannoy, one of the great names in speakers for a looooong time, and still as exxy as a good car.
Last time I talked to a Tannoy Director (quite some time ago)
-Voice coils made in Taiwan
-Magnets Korea or China
-Suspension and cone either Taiwan or Korea
-Assembly - Scotland last time I looked.

Lower cost speaker systems made malaysia or Elsewhere in Asia

STILL have a great reputation and sound.....

STILL regarded as one of the great the great British louspeakers

RIchard

· Registered
112 Posts
Some personal comment to this thread:

As Austrian I get annoyed when uninformed people tend to mention national sozialism because they are too lazy (or even not clever enough) to read statements and comment with facts.
Most Austrians and Germans are too young to have witnessed the dark ages. Some are not. My granddad always got outraged when because of his Austrian heritage was called Nazi. He took active opposition against this regime. People in knowledge will know that this meant that he not only risked his life, he put the whole family in mortal danger. Ask my father who was born in 1941 why he no longer has an older brother....

About politics: what Goedel described is the picture I have from the UK. I am not a resident in the UK. But what I get from casual talk in forums (railway and photographic ones) and being told from my british born and raised friends the picture Goedel has painted seem to show some truth. For my his comments show that he has symphaty for the UK and he cares for the country he has chosen to life in. So I cannot understand why he is bashed for what he says.
Deterioring values is problem common to the whole of Europe. There are some things special about the UK, its history, its traditions, its people some folk from the continent (like me) really like. So please see our comments as a commitment of sympathy not as loathing.

After 10 years modelling British railways I recently went back to continental matters.
I will start a new thread about me differences I found.....

· Registered
1,142 Posts
QUOTE (Thomas @ 25 Sep 2007, 09:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... My granddad always got outraged when because of his Austrian heritage was called Nazi. He took active opposition against this regime. People in knowledge will know that this meant that he not only risked his life, he put the whole family in mortal danger...

My family is jewish, and our heritage and nationality is German.

Looking back, throughout my life I get (and got) way more insults flung my way from Brits and Americans who called me a nazi than from Germans who insulted me for my cultural background (very chosen few, actually).

Makes me wonder...

· is asleep
759 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 24 Sep 2007, 22:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Back to the original thread subject, are you sure Marklin/Trix are 100% made in Germany? I just bought a Minitrix wagon set and the cost of each unit was £14. The chassis are die cast metal and even the containers are weighted. They are superior to the Fleischmann equivalents at twice the cost. It makes me wonder where these are actually made as nowhere on the packaging is a definitive "Made in Germany" stamped.
I see what you mean, I have just looked at the wagons (which say only Minitrix) and their individual boxes which mention only the address of Trix of Nuernberg...however these are models from the Alpine Transit set (15645) and I have seen pictures of the box for the whole set of 20 different wagons - it is quite possible it says on this box where the items are made. It is a good thing that some shops split the set up because £200 (i.e. only £10 per wagon) is still a lot of money in total if you are like me, perhaps unlike the collector, only interested in the wagons of certain countries.

Although I don't care so much where they were made because the quality is most excellent!! Obviously in Nuernberg, under the direct supervision of the Directors!

This competition is good for us, now Fleischmann must reduce its prices or produce further novelties! (Which it has done with some new log carrying Eaos etc. wagons in liveries for many European railways (DB epoch III,IV & V, DR, SNCB and ÖBB:

Although the prices remain
! At least it is so from Morris Models, who had the Minitrix ones at a delicious £13.50). And Roco, Roco, always the naughty child of N scale, must of course stop making new releases in secret, upgrade to close-coupling on wagons to match the coaches, and not just release repaints of very good but slowly aging models...

Either way the modellers should win because the market is large, there are plenty of unmodelled prototypes and continuing miniaturisation makes full DCC with Sound no problem for 1:160...and even 1:220 one day!! Maerklin quality in Z scale is a whole new thread...but I don't know much about it!

Goedel

· is asleep
759 Posts
QUOTE (Thomas @ 25 Sep 2007, 08:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>About politics: what Goedel described is the picture I have from the UK. I am not a resident in the UK. But what I get from casual talk in forums (railway and photographic ones) and being told from my british born and raised friends the picture Goedel has painted seem to show some truth. For my his comments show that he has symphaty for the UK and he cares for the country he has chosen to life in. So I cannot understand why he is bashed for what he says. Deterioring values is problem common to the whole of Europe. There are some things special about the UK, its history, its traditions, its people some folk from the continent (like me) really like. So please see our comments as a commitment of sympathy not as loathing.
You are completely right Thomas, that is a much better way of putting it I think, and should not be seen as patronising because deteriorating values are indeed a problem all over the world now...

QUOTE (Thomas @ 25 Sep 2007, 08:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After 10 years modelling British railways I recently went back to continental matters.
I will start a new thread about me differences I found.....
I'm looking forward to your thread, it is an interesting perspective to have, going from continental to British and back again. I polish my spectacles!

Goedel

· Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 25 Sep 2007, 18:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I see what you mean, I have just looked at the wagons (which say only Minitrix) and their individual boxes which mention only the address of Trix of Nuernberg...however these are models from the Alpine Transit set (15645) and I have seen pictures of the box for the whole set of 20 different wagons - it is quite possible it says on this box where the items are made. It is a good thing that some shops split the set up because £200 (i.e. only £10 per wagon) is still a lot of money in total if you are like me, perhaps unlike the collector, only interested in the wagons of certain countries.

I ended up buying one to see what they were like and ended up going back to the shop to buy the whole box. The box carries very little information other than pictures of locomotives on the outside (I can take photos if you like). As for where we they are made? Maybe this model is a clue???

The quality of these models (although the hopper wagons are a bit light and wobbly) is exceptional and it makes some of my older stock look a bit off target.

· is asleep
759 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 25 Sep 2007, 19:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As for where we they are made? Maybe this model is a clue???
Perhaps! I might send Trix an email, but to ask about a specific set they may not answer quickly if they must check production schedules etc. However there is no reason why they could not be made in Germany / Eastern Europe at a semi-automated high-tech factory because there are not too many detail parts to fit. The fact that the set consits of only five or six different mouldings would help here too. This is also so why they could be made anywhere...

This is perhaps something people worry about more when they have problems with a model in some respect - when one is replete with excellent food one does not think about who is working in the kitchen...however if the meat is not cooked properly and the carrots are square, immediately you think do they employ a clown at the back?

A very full Goedel

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.