Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do those of you with a large collection of locomotives choose addresses for your decoders? And more to the point how do you remember them? I don't have either problem with my Bachmann E-Z system. My eight engines (almost) chose their own addresses because I have a B.R. (ex L.M.S.) layout with these engines 2MT, 3F, 4F, 5MT, 6P, 7P, 8F. It is true that I have a 4MT yet to give a decoder, so I will have to assign that to 1 or 9, but wasn't the choice of engines (some several years ago) rather lucky?

·
Registered
697 Posts
With my Lenz system, I have a system of abbreviating loco TOPS numbers, e.g. 66022 = 6022, 66522 = 6522 etc.

However with my Dynamis, it doesn't matter as much, as it has a loco naming facility, so I can use full numbers, names or whatever I want (subject to the 16 character limit).
e.g. 66022 = 66022, Falcon = Falcon, HST1, HST2 etc.

I still keep the raw 4 digit addresses to some kind of system, but I've got a few clashes that have resulted in a bit of inconsistency. With Dynamis these are transparent most of the time.

Am I right in thinking that non of the American manufacturers have included loco naming in their systems, so far?
Is there less impetus for this as N American locos seem to carry 4 digit running numbers?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I pretty much do the same. I use the last four digits of the number on the loco. My system, the ESU ECoS, lists the locos by name so I just type in the name of the loco when I initially input the loco into the system and it comes up on the list by name after that.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Personally, I now use the last four digits of the running number as I have quite a few locos of the same class (especially DB 218 diesels).

I often do have trouble remembering the numbers though !

·
Registered
642 Posts
I used to have the same numbering system on the dynamis putting the locos running number in but now that has gone and I have the NCE power cab system I guess I'll have to work out a new system really.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have about 20 locos with chips and have just used the last 2 digits as I do not yet have any repeats it is simple to use and only uses short addresses which go up to 127 so one loco has 107 and another is 07, one is 30107 and the other is 4207 so I do not get confussed between them. Tried using 4 numbers but found it a bit long winded compared with just two.

I have an early prodigy from gaugemaster that has a minor fault, but not worth sending back as it is only when first programming a chip that it auto changes CV29 to 2, or if I have to reprogramme due to lost number if a short occurs when running older lenz chips macoders! should not happen but it does, first time took ages to workout what was wrong as the loco started up once the fault had been cleared, I now remember to change the double slip both ways!, but would not stop unless the red button was pressed. checked chip and the address had changed to the speed setting when the short occured, that took a long time to work out too.

I can now run all my locos as I like and they can be made to run slow, not like analogue when as soon as the knob was turned they shot off at high speed, lima O motor bogies. will now run at 3 on the speed setting and crawl along with a nice growl, the pancake motors do act as a sounding board with the DCC wave noise evident.

regards

mike g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts