Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 31 Posts

· Registered
982 Posts
As I was touching down on my Continental B757 after a superb holiday in New York and cruising on the Crown Princess , I was at least consoling myself that although back at work the next day, at least I would have some catching up to do on model railway mags.

What would be the reaction to the previous months Simon Kohler Hornby advert, sorry interview?

And I was not disappointed. Chris Leigh seems to have taken a particularly patronising line this time. All of us in internet groups should just shut up because he and "Simon" and "Graham" know best (I exclude the Dapol gentleman as his approach to the hobby is singularly refreshing).

There was "much heat but precious little light in 4 web pages pontificating". Wasn't this because the original Model Rail left much to be answered? For instance , how do Hornby attempt Quality assurance? Do they test every model? No mention of it in the article.

Chris also leaps to the defence of Hornby on their DCC criticising the words "seems" and "apparently". Well again ,thats only because of the distinct lack of information from Hornby who are purporting their Elite and Select as the best things since sliced bread (but when people actually use them they are finding issues). Interestingly Chris makes no mention of 2 letters back on page 39 of the same mag ,one of which is by Didrik A Voss ,Manager of Conformance Dept of NMRA. In it he criticises Simon Kohler over his use of "compatibility" amongst other things. So it would seem that the 4 web pages of pontification are actually correct and vindicated!

But where Chris finally loses the plot is"How many modellers will be mixing Hornby Elite with other equipment anyway?" Erm , quite a few I should think Chris. There's these other makes called Heljan and Bachmann we might quite like to use some already have their own DCC chips fitted others need something better than the Hornby Chip.

Finally if you know Simon a little bit , says Chris, you'll know he likes to drop hints- the Electrostar was no misprint. Not a great surprise there either..........another Southern model from Hornby. Just what we all need!

Looking forward to "Grahams" interview next.

Russell

· Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 30 Jul 2007, 17:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, I haven't read what Chris Leigh said about forums. Can someone please enlighten me.

Model Rail 107 Editorial Doug.

I thought , in particular, the bit about Hornby Elite users not likely to mix other manufacturers equipment , showed the extent to which Chris has lost the plot!

Glad to see I was not the only one who was a tad annoyed with his comments.

Really looking forward to the Graham Hubbarb article- will the subject of internet forum criticism come up?

Russell

1 - 2 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.