Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that we would all like to see this hobby grow. I make a point of giving some model railway gifts to the kids or children of family members in the hope that one day they may develop an interest in model railways.

Instead of hoarding all my model railway 'loot', I'm giving some of it away including a DCC set to a friend who I've convinced to get into modelling - much to the delight of his kids.

Please give some ideas for Christmas gifts:

What is good to give?

What would you like to receive?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I like to receive a book of prototype practice or 12 ins to the foot so I can improve my model realism. That may include re-numbering a loco or coach, weathering, adding a road vehicle etc etc.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Receiving is easy - anything I need, or possibly would like. As to giving that really depends (I know someone who would like a Marklin Gauge 1 steamer!)

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Nov 2008, 18:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Receiving is easy - anything I need, or possibly would like. As to giving that really depends (I know someone who would like a Marklin Gauge 1 steamer!)

Regards

It's been sold (did'nt really want it anyway !).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was always very hard to buy pressies for, as I don't drink or smoke. It was usually hankies, socks etc.

Since taking up Railway Modelling again, I have asked for - and get, Gaugemaster gift vouchers ( I live close).

They start at £10, so I save them up until I have got enough for something I want, or put them towards something bigger.

They all love it, as they know I am getting something I want.

AlanB

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Think its good to give as Alan either money or vouchers for the recipients favorite retailer then its up to them to choose
, this year i will probably make my Kato shinkansen set a present to myself
though i have my eye on one or two other things to go on the list to santa

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
IMHO my Mum and Dad have the right idea, they send me cash to spend on my layout. My wife and I have the perfect solution. I buy my present to me from here and she buys her present from me to her. I don't know who gets the better bargain. My kids just buy me stuff, but as it's from them it doesn't really matter what it is!

Ultimately for me, Christmas is more about spending time with the family than presents.

My work is a sponsor of the special children's Christmas party for underprivileged children http://www.sccpnz.co.nz/. Going to these events is a really eye opener. I know I lead a somewhat sheltered life and my children want for nothing (they don't get everything they want, my 7 yo wants a cell phone!) but they have food on the table, toys to play with etc. Seeing "the other half" does make you appreciate how lucky some of us are.

Unfortunately given the current economic climate, there will be a lot of people out there who will not have the best of Christmas's.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Like John, I like to get money from people so that I can put it to whatever I want. I have found from experience that it's not wise to let people who are unfamiliar with a subject go to a shop and attempt to buy things for you. They are often steered into buying things that are of no use to me by local hobby shop people. I then have to ebay or return whatever they have bought.

In terms of buying for other people, you want something self contained that is ready to run; literally. You don't really want to give them a present which requires them to get other stuff which they will be unfamilar with.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have never been given anything railway related before. Not easy for a family member to pop off to a model shop and pick up something that I'd like. So I get socks and underpants...

I do though sometimes treat myself to something nice at Christmas time. Last year I bought a Bachmann G-scale Christmas train - Like the Americans have - that runs around the Christmas tree. These are great as it makes the kids happy and even the wife liked it as it had a wagon full of chocolates. Sound and smoke and a relatively cheap price.

I'll take some photos when the tree goes up in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Mrs Piermaster and I are not really bothering with Christmas this year as at 11:00 on 25/12, we will be taking off from Heathrow on board a Singapore Airlines A380 to Singapore and changing there for a 3 hours flight to Manila, then a 4 hours drive home to have a month away with her family.

Incidentally, just quit my job after 3 months! 1000 miles driving per week on top a 40-hours week of auditing wasn't doing me any good! Start new job in London in late January as a Quality Auditor with an international civil engineering contractor based at a major London rail development project.

Christmas is not so important to me, but New Year is.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since I started this project I have been given an amazing variety of stuff by bemused friends and family, including:

Model people (welcome)
Some model buildings, including a very nice telephone box
A set of 1:76 1950s model cars (very welcome)

I think these kinds of accessories - people, sheep, trees and so on 'work' far better as presents than rolling stock or electrical gizmos.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Tricky one this!!

Knowing my nephews, they would want games for the PC or DS lite or what ever other console they have!
Watching them get electronic stuff and there are no batteries is a nightmare, so for me I would always go for a complete trainset that they can put together and run on the day, gives them something to do for the day as well.
I know they don't have huge amounts of room, so if I was to try and get them into the hobby, it would need to be a N-gauge trainset.
I would also include a baseboard, just a sheet of plywood cut to suit the size of the trainset layout, they could use this and it wouldn't then need to be broken down when not being used just stored under their bed.

It's what I would of liked, and you could also let other friends & family know what you intend buying them so that they can buy rolling stock or scenery as well, would make buying presents easy for everyone.

The big thing is, you would really need to know if they would be interested before hand.
I know my nephews wouldn't be, having seen them look and control my layouts and watch the sound chipped locos running( they would sooner turn on the PC and play....is it warcraft the online game?) so I wouldn't even think of buying them anything model train related as it would be completely wasted.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I believe Piko have produced some very good value-for-money G scale [or rather, gauge 1] sets.....for a lot less than around 150 smackers one can get a chunky german-prototype loco with a lot of driving wheels and a couple of realistic-looking hoppers.....plus track[?]

ok, so the valve gear is plastic, but who cares at that price?

nice and chunky for smaller fingers....can be used outside.......good play value?

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are calling it 'Mega Monday' - December 8 is expected to be busy for online transactions. It is getting close to Christmas, and you need to allow for shipping before Christmas so the rush starts today.

Think about the hobby. Give a train set or model loco to a young kid that you know - perhaps instead of a computer game or DVD. Lets help the hobby grow

Think about our sponsors. See the Buy-it-now page.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Turning it ever so slightly has the wife or partner ever really surprised you and got something model railway related that amazed you? A couple of years ago teh wife got me an ottlight and a bespoke tray to work off whilst sat of an evening which I was thrilled with, then my soldering iron decided to go to heaven and to my amazement she replaced it with a new one and threw in a sound chip as well, and yes, it was the right one.

Do you drop hints or would you rather just buy what you want?

Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
my lovely wife is giving me £400 to spend on my layout. iam getting new points, well about £150 worth and some new rolling stock. a central class 153, cotswold 08 shunter and a drs class 66. plus a rake of 9 cement wagons. if anyone have got money to spend i would spend it at hattons as your money goes far there!. lots of bargins.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
''Santa'' (well the postman
) brought a last minute gift from America for me this morning an Athearn blue box SD40-2.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts