DB 03.10

From SWMBO.
I think her shoe collection is due to expand again

Have a Happy christmas and New Year

David.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Santa has sent me advance notice that I'll be getting an Arnold SBB Krokodil. :) I was hoping for a Glaskasten too. Maybe the Birthday Fairy will bring me one next May.

·
Registered
201 Posts
santa should be getting me an EWS 56. He has however told me not to expect my Class 58 and Fastline 56 until after xmas but they are on the way.

Alistair

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I am going to buy myself one or two of these:

A torpedopfannenwagen or liquid pig iron transporter or hot metal ladle car, which I will be converting (perhaps) and repainting (definitely) into one of these Austrian versions used by Voest Alpine, the Austrian steelmaker:

(Yes I know the no. of wheels is wrong, the bogies and support construction are different and the vessel is the wrong shape...but can this all be scratch built and the level of detail on the DB one be reproduced without a huge effort? Not by me!
)

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Well I thought I had been very good this year so asked for:-

For some very strange reason SWMBO, won't get me Miss Whiplash, to help mend my back of course, purely medicinal!
Although she wasn't best pleased I used her latest photo

So I'm getting this little lot instead:-

3 green

1 Maroon

And 3 each hand of these.

They really don't look as good as Miss whiplash though, perhaps with a bit of weathering and scenic detail......Nope still doesn't work!

Ian

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 22 Dec 2007, 13:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A steelworks torpedo. Cool

About 10 years ago we had the bottom drop out of one of them and melted the rear boggie to the track. Ended up burning the bogie off, replacing it with a temerary two axle one and 'very' slowly dragging A Half ladened torpedo on 1 1/2 bogies back to the shop. We bust every rail joint on the way...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Got a lovely early present from my local model shop today of the Farish 66952 for a christmas present.

Big up to Chuffers of Guisborough and thankyou very much.

I've also got Eddie the Engine from Farish coming from my wife for Christmas as I was there when she bought it for me.

I am a lucky boy this year apart from the medical problems....

·
Registered
296 Posts

I would get myself one of these, a full ICE3 set from Mehano, since I intend for the high speed trains to be the queens of my layout.

My family in law have been buying me a couple of kits that I'll be having fun building, I think...
I need to get a good benchworking book... Anyone know of good ones?

Otherwise; other things on my wish list is the 3rd PlanIt Software, I like the feel of it during the demo version...

Ooh ooh and this one:

I want to use those as my local omnibuses... I wonder how difficult it is to give them a different paint job...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I know what I am getting as Santa asked me to buy them to send onto him :)

NRM Flying Scotsman - Hornby
Class 220 4 Car Voyager - Bachmann
Rolling Road - Hornby

Apart from that I am unsure. I was hoping to buy a spare 220 coach to make my Voyager a 5 car (I know the real 220 is 4 car), but I want to have a longer train so the centre motor coach has an even pull/push.

Still on the look out for something interesting.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 23 Dec 2007, 11:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>STEEPLECABS!
It is?! What is a steeple cab? ...when there is a raised cab in the middle of the locomotive?

Caption:

ÖBB 1067.03 at the railway museum in Knittelfeld. This electro-hydraulic (!) shunter of the sixties was a unique experiment (and not very successful). It also has an unusual ÖBB logo. Photo by Tobias B. Köhler.

I read that it was powerful for its size on the same website, so perhaps it was a success. There were only five of them built for ÖBB.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 22 Dec 2007, 14:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For some very strange reason SWMBO, won't get me Miss Whiplash, to help mend my back of course, purely medicinal!
Although she wasn't best pleased I used her latest photo

At least you got as far as getting her trying it on Ian!

QUOTE (Al)About 10 years ago we had the bottom drop out of one of them and melted the rear boggie to the track. Ended up burning the bogie off, replacing it with a temerary two axle one and 'very' slowly dragging A Half ladened torpedo on 1 1/2 bogies back to the shop. We bust every rail joint on the way...
Ouch! I suppose a couple of tons of molten iron can do serious damage to anything if it escapes! No wonder the vessels are built like an inside-out space shuttle!

The more bogies the merrier I think, better to have 3 and 1/2 to move with. Was this in the UK? Where is Corus making steel today?

·
Registered
642 Posts
IF you want I only live 7 miles from the redcar Corus site and you can literally get trackside on the back road to a good fishing point called the gare and you can see them filling the bullets up with steel without tresspassing and get a good photograph of it as well.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE It is?! What is a steeple cab? ...when there is a raised cab in the middle of the locomotive?

yes indeed....but 'steeplecab' in yUK parlance usually refers to electric shunters..usually of the 4 wheel variety....with a pan on the roof...

somehow, an Alco C415 doesn't quite hack it as a steeplecab.....so I guess it has to refer to small, electrics such as one found around Austria, Switzerland, etc....and the UK, especially around Tyneside??

I love them...full of character....and they always seem so very old...as electrics seem to last a long time???

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I used to have some US-prototype Pollock ladle cars....cannot remember who made them.........the models, that is..........compared to those shown above, they were VERY low tech!..Used to run them in front of a Bachymann 44 tonner..which I still have....modified.....[twin motor version]....originally the 44 tonner had an ''armoured' cab....but I never got further with a model steelworks than a corrugated shed!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE but 'steeplecab' in yUK parlance usually refers to electric shunters..usually of the 4 wheel variety....with a pan on the roof...

I presume that the name is derived from the fact that these locomotives are very tall in relation to their length / width and from a distance resemble a church steeple; this resemblence being accentuated by the thin "pointy" appearance of the diamond shaped pantograph support framework.

David

1 - 20 of 41 Posts